installing OS9 on a g3 machine..

Reaction score
Hello all,
I apologize if I posted in the wrong thread. Anyways, I'm having a hard time trying to get the OS9 setup to find my 10 gig IMB deskstar hard drive. I used TransMac on my windows machine to create a HFS partition. I took the hard drive out of my windows machine set the jumper to master and slapped it into my G3 machine. OS9 setup cd loads correctly but can not find my hard drive. I get to the Select Destination section of the setup cd and I get a message on the bottom of the screen saying: "A valid destination volume can't be found. To continue the installation process, mount a valid volume for software installation." I asked someone in CompUSA if the g3 needs a custom hard drive and he said no you can use any ATA ultaATA IDE hard drive in a mac. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to macs so, I have absolutely no clue what to do from here. Can anyone give me a hand with this setup?

-Thanks,
Rich

OP
D
Reaction score
After some time checking through the cd I found Disk Utilities and found out I had to mount the hard drive. Now, the setup started and it's installing. Hopefully I won't run into issues. Wish me luck!

-Thanks,
Rich

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.