Configure Everytime I Switch ON

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel C2D iMac 2.16Ghz, 2GB Ram.
Hello,

I have received my long awaited 20" iMac today and I'm over the moon with it. However one thing that's bugging me is that I have to keep on messing about with the wireless airport settings before I can actually get onto the internet via my Belkin router. I'm not sure exactly what's causing this, but it seems that everytime I shut down and then restart I can never seem to get connected again without resorting to playing about with the wireless settings. Has anyone else had this problem?

What I'm hopefully gonna try and do is to switch on my Mac again in the next few hours after shutting it down, and then write down what I have to do to get it to connect again to the net as this should help diagnose the problem or at least give some better insight into the problem....other than that why didn't I get a Mac sooner :-D

Michael.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello,

Following my above post, I started up my Mac again this morning and I had to do the same again to gain access internet access by doing the following:

Clicking on the wireless symbol in the top right hand corner next to the bluetooth symbol, and then selecting "other" where all the other wireless networks are listed in my area, and then selecting my own one which is listed, and then typing in the password....after doing this it then allows me to connect to the net. I can't seem to figure out as to why I should need to keep doing this everytime I want to use the net.

Any idea's???

Michael.

JFK

Reaction score
Hello,

Following my above post, I started up my Mac again this morning and I had to do the same again to gain access internet access by doing the following:

Clicking on the wireless symbol in the top right hand corner next to the bluetooth symbol, and then selecting "other" where all the other wireless networks are listed in my area, and then selecting my own one which is listed, and then typing in the password....after doing this it then allows me to connect to the net. I can't seem to figure out as to why I should need to keep doing this everytime I want to use the net.

Any idea's???

Michael.

Hi Michael,
I'm having the same issues with my Belkin Router.
What I have to do everytime I switch it on is to restart the router. Either via connecting to it, or Switching it off at the plug.
Like you, I just switched to Macs, and again, like you should have done it years ago.
However this problem is bugging me slightly!!!

Cheers
J

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello,

JFK, I think I may have a solution to this. If you can log into you routers configuration menu(192.168.......) and then look under the tab listed as DNS and then you need to enter in your primary and secondary DNS addresses provided by your ISP. I have done this on mine as it was set to automatically list them(uncheck this) and I think this may of been the cause for my internet connection not connecting as soon as my iMac was switched on and loaded up and it now appear fine after several reboots. The proof will be over the nest few weeks ;-)

Michael.

Reaction score
JFK, have you spoken to your ISP about this? Also might be worth it to call Apple ...

JFK

Reaction score
JFK, have you spoken to your ISP about this? Also might be worth it to call Apple ...

?

I've spoken with my ISP and its a little tricky to try and convey what it is I'm after as the call center is in India.
I've yet to speak with Apple.
I wondering if I've purchased the wrong router???:D

I'm using it now, is just when I switch off the Mac. I have to restart the router when I turn the Mac back on.
Its seem trival, but its not working as it should!!!

Reaction score
 Does your MacBook have a permanent home or is it transient?

 Have you tried leaving your MacBook on overnight and just letting it sleep?

 If so, does the internet connection still get broken?

Reaction score
Hello,

Any idea's???

Michael.

DrPepper, I leave my iMac running 24/7 and it sleeps overnight and when I'm not on. Why not just do the same to see if this solves things until we know the answer to the startup/connectiion issue?

JFK

Reaction score
? Does your MacBook have a permanent home or is it transient?

? Have you tried leaving your MacBook on overnight and just letting it sleep?

? If so, does the internet connection still get broken?

Sorry to be a pain!!
I has a permanent home in that it doesn't leave to house (as yet) I haven't ried leaving it on overnight yet, but may do so. It won't damage it will it??
I have had the connection on for the last hour or so and it hasn't gone off as yet!!

J

Reaction score
There's no such thing as being a pain here if you have an honestly frustrating issue that is driving you bananas!

Leaving your MacBook on overnight if perfectly fine, in fact Macs have been designed for this. Overnight, there are maintenace scripts at work, cleaning and tidying up after you, so if you are shutting it down you'll need to run these manually anyhow.

Here are some linky things to read:

Leave on/Shut down?

Shut Down/Leave On?

Leave Down/Shut On?

Also I thought I'd include a linky regarding free maintenance apps.

This is how I have the Energy Saving set:

System Preferences>Energy Saver>Sleep

Put Computer to sleep when inactive for ..... I have this set to Never.
Put Display to sleep when inactive for ...... I have this set to about 50 mins.
Put Hard Disc(s) to sleep when possible .... I have this box unchecked.

These settings are for my iMac, which is on all day and I periodically work on it throughout the day/night.

JFK

Reaction score
There's no such thing as being a pain here if you have an honestly frustrating issue that is driving you bananas!

Leaving your MacBook on overnight if perfectly fine, in fact Macs have been designed for this. Overnight, there are maintenace scripts at work, cleaning and tidying up after you, so if you are shutting it down you'll need to run these manually anyhow.

Here are some linky things to read:

Leave on/Shut down?

Shut Down/Leave On?

Leave Down/Shut On?

Also I thought I'd include a linky regarding free maintenance apps.

This is how I have the Energy Saving set:

System Preferences>Energy Saver>Sleep

Put Computer to sleep when inactive for ..... I have this set to Never.
Put Display to sleep when inactive for ...... I have this set to about 50 mins.
Put Hard Disc(s) to sleep when possible .... I have this box unchecked.

These settings are for my iMac, which is on all day and I periodically work on it throughout the day/night.

Thanks for the advice.
I'll put mine to sleep tonight. I'll not bother with the maintanance for the time being.
Thanks for the help.
I'll report back in the morning.

Reaction score
Cheers JFK....hey wait a min ... it is the morning ! (for me anyway lol)
Good night!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you are running cable to the router -

System Preferences - Network
In 'Show', select Built-in Ethernet
Click the Ethernet button
change 'Configure' to Automatically if it is set to Manually

If you are connecting wirelessly to the router

In 'Show' select Airport
click on the Airport button
By default, join: Change to Preferred networks
In the box below, select all networks it shows which are not yours, one at a time and then click the '-' button below, this will delete all and leave only your network as the preferred network
then highlight your network in the box and click on edit below
Enter your security type and then the security passcode in the new popup boxes

JFK

Reaction score
If you are running cable to the router -

In 'Show', select Built-in Ethernet
Click the Ethernet button
change 'Configure' to Automatically if it is set to Manually

If you are connecting wirelessly to the router

In 'Show' select Airport
click on the Airport button
By default, join: Change to Preferred networks
In the box below, select all networks it shows which are not yours, one at a time and then click the '-' button below, this will delete all and leave only your network as the preferred network
then highlight your network in the box and click on edit below
Enter your security type and then the security passcode in the new popup boxes

Hey Bob,
Thanks for that info, but I have tried all that already and still no joy!!

Pulse, again thatnks for the advice last night but after recommending to leave it on overnight has still got the same negavtive response!!
AAARRRRRRGGGGGGH!!!

Thanks
J

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.