OK to put server memory in desktop computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
I have some server memory kicking around that is pc100 which might work in my mothers G4 powermac. Is it ok to put server ram in a desktop computer? If I put it in will it mess anything up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
PC-100 might work fine in a powermac, depending on the speed. Certainly less than 1GHz will be fine. You won't damage anything by sticking it in and seeing if it works. If it doesn't boot, just take it back out!

As an aside, there's really no difference between 'desktop' and 'server' RAM - it's the specification that counts. It's all the same basic stuff, and in modern machines the desktops sometimes have the edge (certainly on PCs) thanks to the gamer market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
As an aside, there's really no difference between 'desktop' and 'server' RAM - it's the specification that counts. It's all the same basic stuff, and in modern machines the desktops sometimes have the edge (certainly on PCs) thanks to the gamer market.

That's not entirely true. Servers often need Registered RAM, which is unlike regular desktop RAM, which is unregistered. Most Opterons and almost all Xeon server motherboards require registered RAM because of the error checking it provides.

This means the server RAM is not only more expensive, but is also slower.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
That's not entirely true. Servers often need Registered RAM, which is unlike regular desktop RAM, which is unregistered. Most Opterons and almost all Xeon server motherboards require registered RAM because of the error checking it provides.

It's a fair cop, I forgot about registered RAM. This is the same stuff as 'buffered' and 'unbuffered' RAM. I think that even some desktop systems need buffered (registered) RAM to have their maximum amount in. It's all about the power draw - it's quite an interesting subject.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.