anything to replace airport extreme?

M

mkko

hi,

i bought an ibook about a week ago and now i'm very excited about going totally wireless... i was just wondering if the expensive airport extreme base station could be replaced with someone else's product. naturally i'd choose apple if i had the extra money :/ i'm really not sure if i want to spend extra 150e on something that i don't even need.

well i might get the airport extreme base station eventually, but maybe i need time to think about it... it would look cool and all :D i was just wondering about that combatibility issue...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yep you can use any wireless G router that you want

OP
M

mkko

i'm glad to hear :) and there really isn't any problems using other devices? i'm just a bit uncertain about the compatibility issues...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Nope...I use a linksys wireless B router and it works flawlessly

OP
T

TylerMoney

I use a D-Link wireless router...and there aren't any problems at all..works great...and only paid like 50 o 60 bucks for it...and that was between five people....it doens't look quite as cool as the airport base station..but works just as well, at a third of the cost.

OP
M

mkko

i nearly bought a wireless router from buffalo, a model "WBR-G54". one thing just bothered me. there were no support for max os x. or at least the package didn't tell anything about it. i'm just wondering if anyone knows about this... on the package there were only support for drivers for all the windows' versions, xp, me, etc., nothing else...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.