iWeb Ideas

Reaction score
I'm new to this iWeb/iLife thing on a Mac. I just recently got a Mac, coming from a PC, last year. I'm still learning all the new things that I am able perform on a Mac and how easy things can be. One of the new things I'd like to learn to do is create a site. I just opened up a new .mac account and can now publish iWeb sites to my .mac account.

I'm just not sure what type of site I can create. I know this seems kind of a stupid question, but what kind of sites have you guys created? Blogs, picture galleries, journals, etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
It's not a stupid question. I just created my own website between Saturday night and Sunday. The link to it is in my signature. Mostly I'd like to share photos with family and friends in a web page format. While this was my first experience with iWeb, it worked great! (My .mac account is a trial account right now.)

If you're near an Apple store, see if they have workshops. Also, check out the Apple website for helpful iLife tutorials. Here are a couple links for you:

http://www.apple.com/retail/workshops/
http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/

I attended a workshop on iWeb at one of my local Apple stores. When I created my website I stepped through the iWeb tutorials somewhat, enough to get started anyway, and jumped to other parts as needed.

I don't know where I'm going next with this, but iWeb gives me a way to quickly make a decent web page. At least I think it is decent.

Hope this helps!

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks for the sites and suggestions. I'd love to attend a workshop on a weekend. There's a nearby Apple store at work and at home.

The first idea that came to mind:

Create a website detailing my most recent vacation. Complete with blogs, photos, maybe a video.

Can I keep the website private? I'd only like to share it with certain people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Thanks for the sites and suggestions. I'd love to attend a workshop on a weekend. There's a nearby Apple store at work and at home.

The first idea that came to mind:

Create a website detailing my most recent vacation. Complete with blogs, photos, maybe a video.

Can I keep the website private? I'd only like to share it with certain people.
Sounds like a great idea! Go for it. Don't worry about getting it perfect. Just start it, and watch what you can do with it.

Yes you can keep it private. You set up an account name and password through iWeb that are for the web site and NOT the same as for your .mac account. Maybe you'd use "vanilla" for the account name and "bean" for the password. Give these to your intended viewers (victims?!) and they'll have access. (While you probably don't need to be exotic on the account name and password, pick things unlikely to be guessed.)

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.