Is it possible to change the HD of the mackbook?

Reaction score
I know the Harddisk can be removed and replaced but is it easy to find a harddisk suitable for Macbook out in the market? Also, would it be cheaper for me to purchase a 2Ghz Mackbook with 80GB HD and buying a 120GB one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
A few weeks ago I bought a Toshiba 120G hard drive from Newegg. I switched it for my 60G unit, and it has been great. At the time the drive was $85. The only annoyance was that the Official Apple Instructions for replacing a hard drive did NOT mention the mounting plate used torx screws. These are the ones that look like 6 pointed stars. Once I solved that little problem, things went fine. My MacBook has been great ever since. I've had good experience with Newegg from past purchases (PC equipment). They're good.

As far as buying a machine w/ an 80G drive and switching it yourself for a 120G, that's entirely up to you. Look at the prices. Personally I'd consider it if it would save me at least $100 total, but I wouldn't do it for just a few bucks. While easy to switch, it will take you time to switch drives and load a new system onto the new drive.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...
I cannot believe that's all it takes to replace the hard disk. I have a 120GB hard disk in a small caddy but I don't use most of the space... I might swap it with my macbook hard disk if that's how easy it is!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I cannot believe that's all it takes to replace the hard disk. I have a 120GB hard disk in a small caddy but I don't use most of the space... I might swap it with my macbook hard disk if that's how easy it is!
Use the right kind, though. The MacBook uses Serial ATA. Otherwise, yeah, it's real easy! Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
The only annoyance was that the Official Apple Instructions for replacing a hard drive did NOT mention the mounting plate used torx screws. These are the ones that look like 6 pointed stars.

Hope this helps!

Yeah I wasn't impressed by the torx screws that weren't mentioned, I had to go out and buy a torx bit as all mine were too big. It also doesn't mention needing to use the disk utility to format the disk prior to attempting to install OSX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I wasn't impressed by the torx screws that weren't mentioned, I had to go out and buy a torx bit as all mine were too big. It also doesn't mention needing to use the disk utility to format the disk prior to attempting to install OSX
Well, yeah there was that too. I'm so used to partitioning and formatting drives that I always assume it has to be done.

On the torx bits, I didn't have any at all so I had to go out and get some. It meant waiting one night to install my new drive. Grrr... Oh well, it wasn't that bad to wait for one night. ^_^

J

jamesx

how do you get to the disk utility? it sounds a lot harder to replace a hard drive on a mac than it does on a pc. with a pc, you put the new hard drive in and out the install disks in. you let it install and your done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how do you get to the disk utility? it sounds a lot harder to replace a hard drive on a mac than it does on a pc. with a pc, you put the new hard drive in and out the install disks in. you let it install and your done.
It's easy to install. The worst part was the torx screws.

When you power a MacBook with a new blank drive and insert the installation DVD, it will ask you to choose a place to install the OS. The drive will appear, but you have to select it. That's where the disk utility automatically appears. Then the installation routine asks/allows you to format it. Once that's done, you tell the installation routine to install to the drive and let it do its thing.

A new hard drive in a Windows machine also has to be formatted. In my experience, the Windows installation media (XP Pro) always asks how you want to format the new hard drive - NTFS or the less recommended FAT32.

I've done clean installs on Win machines with blank (unformatted) hard disks. All things being equal, if everything is available for drivers on the Win install media, the install is as easy as on a Mac. If not, then you spend time loading other media on the PC to get all of the equipment specific drivers.

Now if you want something really exciting, try a new drive on a Linux box. Not difficult, just requires a little more knowledge (and do it with fdisk). -_^

J

jamesx

ok i understand now. thanks for the info. it sounds like it is done the same way as a windows machine. the disks that came with the computer will give me all the software that came with the computer ( garage band and such)...and drivers right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, everything should be there on the discs. In fact, you will be given an option to do either a default install or a custom one. If you choose the latter, you can choose which applications you want. It's more useful if you wish to exclude some things.

Also, once everything is installed, assuming you have a broadband connection, under the Apple in the menu bar, do the Software Update. I found that I actually had to go through it a few times to ensure everything was updated and coordinated. Then you should be fine. Do the update, reboot, and repeat until it comes back clean, saying you're up to date.

Of course, before you do any of this, backup your machine. Once done, verify your backups. If you backup to DVDs, try one or two to see that you've burned things safely to them. Personally, when I switch a hard drive, I make a few sets of backups. I don't like losing data.

To reiterate, replacing the main hard drive on a MacBook is essentially as difficult or easy as replacing one on an IBM ThinkPad. If you can do it on a Windows laptop, you can do it on a MacBook.

Good luck!

J

jamesx

yep i have switched quite a few on desk tops and lap top pc's. sounds good. thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.