G4 and AirPort Questions

D

doubledvideo

G4 and AirPort Questions...please help

Hello, I am kinda new to the Mac world, I bought a nice G4 power mac off ebay over the summer...and everythig works great i am sooooo happy...

but now were getting cable internet in my house...and i need to know what other people have down (assuming they have the same situation as me)...

I have 2 pcs and my mac in my house....the cable modem will be connected to a pc, and so will the router (base will be at a pc)...i just wanna make sure my mac will be able to recieve the shared internet..

Also i searched in finder (in the mac) to check if my mac is airport ready (cause i didn't buy the mac new) so Im not really sure...it found a program called Airport Card Assistant 3.2 or something, so I am assuming that means Im ready for an airport card?

one more thing....were gonna go with the wireless-g router (54Mbps) but the airport card will only accept 11Mbps, am i correct? will that be a noticable difference from dial up? or should i consider getting the airport extreme card? but dont you also have to buy a base station for that, if your mac is not extreme ready?

Any replys would be greatly appreciated!!!! thank you!!!!!

OP
T

TylerMoney

I would definently consider the aiprot extreme card. In my house we have....three pc's, and three macs....

two of the macs are running airport extreme cards....my powerbook, and my roomates iBook....my other roomate has a iMac hooked up through network card directly to the router..like the pc's..

we have no problems with internet with anyone's computer. And with airport extreme...my mac is just as fast online as iis my pc...

so..I hope that helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Your mac should be set to get an airport card....airport extreme will not work with your system....You do not need to get an AirPort base station...you can use whatever wireless router you want (brand and speed).....The speed difference between b and g is really only noticeable if you are very close to the station and are transferring files....it will still be close to cable speed and a major upgrade over dialup. I currently have a Linksys Wireless B router hooked up to a PC and I am using my powerbook with regular airport and i still get amazing speeds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I merged your two threads doubledvideo....no double posting

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.