• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

adding subtitles to a divx movie

Reaction score
im burning a divx movie and have a separate subtitle file that i want to add to the divx movie befor burning as a divx and when i go to toast 8 and try to add them it wount let me any ideas on how to do this? and i have seen it done befor. and in order to make them play befor the movie started it took u to this screen were u could click on the movie to play it and the subs, u click on the subs then the movie and its good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
Try burning in toast as a dvdrom (data) disc and dragging the avi and subtitle file into toast. As a windows (ex)user this was the way I did it in the windows burning software Nero.When the disc is played in a dvd player you select the subtitles on your remote.

Reaction score
Burn subtititles to AVI/DivX on any mac with Toast8-10

You can use .srt, OR .idx / .sub. And mix them on same burned DVD. You do NOT need to merge 2CD files. (they will play sequentially with hardly noticeable delay.)
Open Toast to DATA mode. (NOT the intuitive VIDEO mode)
Select DVD-ROM (UDF) process. TOAST will now accept the sub files.
Make sure your .avi and sub files have EXACTLY the same name, EXCEPT for the EXTENSION (what follows the last period... i.e. .srt) If you have 2CD files, this would be a typical example of NAME list window for movie on hard drive>
name1.avi
name1.idx
name1.sub
name2.avi
name2.idx
name2.sub
Once you have these, they will play with VLC (free player for Windows and Mac) and you may select subtitles at bottom of VLC>VIDEO menu . PLAY - to be sure they are in sync. If not, look at your source, like LOL or XOR, or NoTv. Make sure they match. You may need a different sub. If still out of sync, you may need to use a sub file adjustment program (not for beginners)
OK Now drag the files from your HD to TOAST window. You shoud be able to get about 4 typical .avi movies on one DVD. The bottom bar GB numbers and green(enough room to burn) or red(not enough space) indicators will tell you.
Burn.
Enjoy. :) Most DivX set top players will invoke/stop subs with a SUBTITLE button on remote. If your .srt file contains multiple languages, it will scroll through them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.