Missing Network Icon??

C

Carolyn

I went to access my network this evening and upon going my usual route... Finder - Computer - Network.... After opening the Computer window the network icon is gone. The word "Network" is there like something erased the graphic part of the icon but when I click on it nothing happens..

So I went the long route and accessed the network by searching for the icon through the little magnifying glass finder menu. I attempted to drag that icon over to the left hand side of the screen (the menu area) and it won't allow me to.

Is there a lock that I have to unlock to change things within finder? I am not sure what else I can do.

Thanks for any ideas and or suggestions..

Carolyn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Clicking the lock should promt you for your admin password. Once you enter that you can make changes. But how was the icon moved in the first place? Are you the only user?

OP
C

Carolyn

Where is the lock!?!? :p

And yes I am the only user and the icon was not moved... The icon dissapeared.. It is there but not there.. hard to explain.. Like I said.. it SAYS Network.. But there is no actual icon there.. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
If you need to unlock, the lock graphic is always in the lower left corner of the relevant window

OP
C

Carolyn

Nothin on mine but a pencil that has a slash through it and 4 small boxes.. i tried to click on both and nothing..

OP
C

Carolyn

I just installed the OSX update.. I wonder if it was a bad install...

I am going to try and reinstall and see if that helps..

Dunno what else to do here..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Ok. I think I see something. Try this. close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner. Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, varify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. This may well fix it

OP
C

Carolyn

I just repaired my permissions earlier today.. Hopefully that is not what is screwing it up.. heh.. I did a reinstall of the OSX update and that fixed the problem.. The icons are there now and when clicked up on they work.. Hmmm... Odd.. So either the install was bad to begin with OR Macaroni screwed something up..

Wite.. Thanks for your help.. You were right on top of that one!!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It's a really good idea to repair permissions after every software update :)

Reaction score
As long as we are on the subject of that little Network Icon, well mine is missing too. Anybody know how to get it back. I think I accidentally pulled it out of finder and pufff gone. But where to and how to get back. Any tips???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.