Wireless on an iMac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", 1GB RAM, 160GB HD/ 13" MacBook, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD/4th Gen iPod Nano 8 GB
Sorry to sound like an idiot, but I pretty much need a straight forward response. How do I set up wireless on an iMac? I was told that it should "see" my router and it will work, but that's not happening. No problems when connected via ethernet, obviously, but I have an old PC in another room that can only connect via the ethernet, so I desperately need this one to work with wireless.

So.... help please. :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Without more info from you, my guess is that your current wireless is set to WEP. If this is the case, connect your iMac to the router, and set the router to WPA. Let us know if that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but do you have a wireless router?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", 1GB RAM, 160GB HD/ 13" MacBook, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD/4th Gen iPod Nano 8 GB
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but do you have a wireless router?

Yes, Westell 327W.

RIDE said:
Connect your iMac to the router, and set the router to WPA

How do I set the router to WPA? Forgive my ignorance, just don't know much (well, anything) about routers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I'm not sure what the default IP is for Westell... 192.168.something
Look on your router for the "Default IP". Plug your iMac into one of the ports on the router using the ethernet cable. Then enter the default IP address in your browsers URL field.. press enter. You should now be in the router's configuration page... look for "security settings" Look for WPA (probably in a drop-down menu that currently says WEP). Let us know if you need help.

EDIT: Try 192.168.1.1 as the default IP for the Router if you can't find the address on the router itself.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
192.168.1.1 won't open, but now that you mention it, I now remember going there before to change settings.

Let me further explain, maybe it'll help more. I never installed the software on the iMac, I had the router connected via ethernet to the old PC, and Friday when I bought the iMac and hooked it up I wanted to connect wirelessly. It said it found the Westell modem, but was unable to connect. Do I need to insert the disk and install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
You shouldn't need to use the disk.. but it won't hurt if you want to go that route. Look on the router... the default IP should be printed on that. You NEED to have a wired connection from the router to the iMac w/ the ethernet cable.

I'm off to bed.... I will check in on this thread first thing in the morning to see how you did. Good luck

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate your help.

Are you saying there is no way I can have the wired connection to the PC and have the iMac wireless? I've got a USB wireless adapter, but it just won't work on the PC (Windows ME, yes I now, horrible OS). I just needed to have both able to connect to the internet so others in the house can use the internet at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
No, not saying that at all... All I'm saying is that you MUST connect (wired) the iMac to the Router with the ethernet cable, JUST to get it set-up. After you have the settings (WPA) the way you want them, you can then disconnect the ethernet cable and access the internet from the iMac wirelessly. FIRST, you NEED to connect the iMac to the router with the ethernet cable.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, I'm running wirelessly now. :)

I had the IP address wrong, but now I'm all good. Thank you much for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Great! I'm glad you got it all set.

JFK

Reaction score
No, not saying that at all... All I'm saying is that you MUST connect (wired) the iMac to the Router with the ethernet cable, JUST to get it set-up. After you have the settings (WPA) the way you want them, you can then disconnect the ethernet cable and access the internet from the iMac wirelessly. FIRST, you NEED to connect the iMac to the router with the ethernet cable.

Just to jump on the back of this thread.
I have my Macbook running wireless through Airport, and now my PC which is connected via ethernet cable will no longer work.
Also, everytime I switch on the Mac I have to rest the router to get a connection, surely there must be a way round this??
Could anyone throw any light on it??

Cheers
J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
JFK,

As far as your macbook not "remembering" the settings.
Make sure you have the settings set to "remember my password in the Keychain"

Also pick a preferred wireless network - Go to System Preferences-->Network-->Show-->Airport. On the Airport tab, change "By default, join:" from Automatic to Preferred Network. And make sure your network of choice is selected.

Does that help?

JFK

Reaction score
JFK,

As far as your macbook not "remembering" the settings.
Make sure you have the settings set to "remember my password in the Keychain"

Also pick a preferred wireless network - Go to System Preferences-->Network-->Show-->Airport. On the Airport tab, change "By default, join:" from Automatic to Preferred Network. And make sure your network of choice is selected.

Does that help?

Cheers for that ride I will give that a shot later....
Failing that is there another step to try??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I really think that should do it. If not, let us know.

JFK

Reaction score
I really think that should do it. If not, let us know.

Hey Ride,
Just to let feedback, what you suggested unfortunately it didn't work.

Just to clarify.
When I swtich the Mac on I don't get a connection. I have to turn the router off first, when it boots back up I get a connection straight away!

Thanks in advance.

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Hmm... Not really sure here.... try to go back into the setting and RE-tick everything... As in, change Automatic to Preffered.. then Back to Automatic.

Also... Go to Sys. Prefs --> Network ---> Airport selected > click Options.
Select "Remember any network this computer has joined"

JFK

Reaction score
Still no joy.
I've just had a horrible ridiculeous thought. I'm not sure my router is campatable. Even though I do get a connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Have you connected the router to your macbook with the ethernet cable???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.