indesign cs2 file issues

Reaction score
So I purchased the new airport extreme, attached my external hard drive to network between my mac and my pc, and for some reason when I save the .indd files on my network drive, it corrupts them (not all of them). I have two files right now that upon opening, InDesign asks whether or not to recover, when I click YES, it shuts down InDesign.

I have removed my preference settings a few times, reinstalled InDesign, copied onto my local drive without any luck. Is there anything I can do to recover these files or am I out of luck?

I've had some serious issues with the CS2 suite lately...must be the intel based macs...

MacBook 1.83 Intel Core Duo
2 GB SDRAM
Seagate 300 GB External Hard Drive
Airport Extreme

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, steinm10!

This is kinda like a weird thing you are experiencing. The only thing I can come up with is how is your external hard drive formatted?

Have you tried another workaround? Like maybe saving the file to your desktop, then copying it over to the external? Does this give the same results?

I know that CS2 isn't run natively on Intel-based Macs and like you say it could come from that. Hope fully CS3 will be released shortly for you guys using Intel-based Macs.

OP
S
Reaction score
How should the external hard drive me formatted? Since it's an intel based mac, should it matter?

I currently have it in the "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" format. This is what the users manual suggest from Seagate. Is this the correct format for sharing between Mac and PC?

M

MacHeadCase

I think I read in a few threads in Mac-Forums that PCs cannot read from Mac OS Extended formatted hard drives. I know that Macs can read from FAT32 drives but the downside is you're limited to 4GB chunks of data with that type of format.

I'm sure someone here will have more info on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
One thing you can try is to shorten the name of the InDesign file before copying it to the external drive - though this shouldn't be an issue since you have the drive formatted for a Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.