iMac G5 problems

Reaction score
Hello,

If anyone can help me or offer any advice I will be very happy.

I have a G5 iMac. 1st Generation that I bought in November of 2004. Everything was working great for 2 years. Back in the Fall it would randomly shut off. Completely turn off without any warning. I was doing research and found that Apple was replacing logic boards for this very issue if it was a 1st generation G5 iMac which mine was. I went to the Apple store, they replaced the logic board and everything was fine and dandy.

Then a week or so later my iMac would start randomly going into sleep mode. If I activated the mouse or kb, it would go back in sleep mode in a matter of minutes if not seconds. I would not be able to use the computer again for a few hrs. I brought my iMac back to the Apple store and the Mac Genius pressed the SMU button and did some firmware updates. Played around with it at the store, nothing happened so I took it home. But then it started doing it again. Went back to the store again and a different Mac Genius reinstalled Tiger. It went into sleep mode in the store. He then took out the non-apple memory. That didn't work either. So he checked it in and I had my computer back in 3 days. They told me they replaced the power supply and they stressed it out for a day and it did not have any problems. I brought it home and everything was working great for 1 week. Then I was prompted to updated my Tiger software to I believe 10.4.8 which I did. Ever since it has had the same problems....:radioacti

So I've had my power supply replaced, my logic board replaced. They tested it w/o non-apple memory, they put the original Tiger on it.....still not working. I'm very frustrated and don't know what is causing this. Seems like the Mac Geniuses are just as confused as me.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I thought if I reinstalled Tiger that might work but who knows for sure since when it was done in the store it was still having problems until they replaced the power supply. Is it a bad power supply?? bad hard drive?

I'm getting to the point where I might need to buy something new and perhaps not a Mac (this is my first).

M

MacHeadCase

Sounds like you should contact Apple about this.

I know there was a recall for iMac G5s first generation as they had big issues. I looked at the Apple Support site and all I could find is this: iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Power Supply Issues so look at the serial number and even though the site says:

...were sold between approximately May 2005 and October 2005 and feature a 20-inch display and 2.0GHz G5 processor.

Hah! Another search brought this page: iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues: Frequently Asked Questions and I think this is the recall that includes the first gen.

Reaction score
I had the same problems with my 1st gen iMac G5. Had the power supply replaced about 3 weeks ago (no charge) and things have been fine since. Can't comment yet on long-term, but as the months go by, we'll see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
probs something to do with some of the 1st gen imac power supplies as 'macheadcase' linked to

Reaction score
yes, it's the powersupply and logicboard problem. I see it all the time. Apple has it covered with their extended warranty (just for that problem though) in the g5 imac.

OP
T
Reaction score
Sounds like you should contact Apple about this.

I know there was a recall for iMac G5s first generation as they had big issues. I looked at the Apple Support site and all I could find is this: iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Power Supply Issues so look at the serial number and even though the site says:

Yes I know. I have had my logic board and power supply replaced because of the issues I was having and because my iMac was a 1st gen G5 that matched the serial numbers they were looking for. Still having problems however.

M

MacHeadCase

I think you should take it back. I've heard of people getting new machines if a Mac has to have the same repair three or four times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yh you never know your luck !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You might get a Core2 Duo!

Bear in mind that my iMac went to sleep and never woke after one of the Tiger upgrades. I restarted and it has never done it again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might get a Core2 Duo!

i doubt it but dead lucky if you do. i would guess they would just replace the part needed.

OP
T
Reaction score
i doubt it but dead lucky if you do. i would guess they would just replace the part needed.

They have replaced 2 parts. The logic board and the Power supply. Unless those parts are duds.....this is frustrating and the fact that I have to constantly go to the apple store makes it worse. I feel like getting a PC with all these problems my Mac has caused me.

Reaction score
lol.. thats funny that you say that.. I switched to mac from all the problems pc has caused... computer nerds just can't win

Reaction score
I see that 3-4 times a day. g5 with power issues like spontaneous shut downs and not coming back out of sleep mode are the logic board and power supply more than 90% of the time. Apple covers them even when you are outside of applecare protection with their extended warranty program (just for this specific problem) for these models. (as mentioned above)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
keep with it as you have just had some VERY bad luck and i hope your experience will get a lot better in the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.