External Hard Drive Reccomendations

Reaction score
Im looking to get an external hard drive to move itunes and pictures to, and was looking for reccomendations as to which are the best. Thanks

GWR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D - PB G4 - iBook G4 - iMac G3 DV SE
HDs

I have two WD My Books.
One standard and one Pro. Great drives.
I'm also looking into the newertechnology Ministack V.2. You can buy it with or without a drive installed and it has USB and FW hubs built in.

GR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I really like the looks of WD MyBooks, and I have heard really good things about their reliability. Also, they are very quiet because they have a fan-less design, and use convection cooling.

OP
B
Reaction score
What is the difference between the standard and pro?

Also, I cannot seem to find anything on the newertechnology Ministack V.2. Is that the correct spelling?

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Go to your local computer store and buy a case and a hard drive and put them together. This will, literally, save you hundreds of dollars.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have a G-Tech 250G hard drive, FW400, and love it. Works well, very fast, and the style perfectly compliments my PowerMac.

G-DRIVE-SmallImg.jpg

GWR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I have a LaCie d2 Hard Drive Extreme with Triple Interface 500GB and never had any problems with it. I backup to it every week. I like it.

Some people say LaCie hard drives aren't good but this is the second LaCie we have bought in this household and we never had bad experiences with either of them.

I've got one of these, too. Seems OK to me. Wish I'd gone for a fanless one, though as it's quite noisy when running (compared to a Mac).

GWR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to your local computer store and buy a case and a hard drive and put them together. This will, literally, save you hundreds of dollars.

These are available without a drive installed (i.e. DIY) plus you get the hub function.
Mine's on order!

GR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz
I have an older Western Digital Harddrive(160 gb) and I love it. It works great. Fanless and does everything I need it to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Good point. I should mention that the G-Tech drives are fanless. Completely silent and very fast.

Reaction score
I bought a WD hard drive and a NexStar 3 case and very happy with the setup

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.