Finally found something to gripe about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24,2.33Ghz IntelCore2Duo,3GB RAM,750GB HardDrive,7600GT 256MB SDRAM Graphics,Final Cut Express
I only have one negative gripe about switching to Apple, BUT it is a BIG one-------there is no way to use the phone to get "live help" from a real human being. You can't even get "live" help online. There, I've said it. But it didn't make me feel better. And because of this I have wasted 2 days trying to work out the following problems.

I need help with 2 totally different problems.

1. I ordered my iMac in January (new switcher) and chose the option for Final Cut Express HD. I can't open this program. When I click on its icon I'm asked to "refer to your packaging to obtain a serial number". Never even saw the packaging; automatically assumed an Apple tech would have installed the program. Please help.

2. Spent hours and hours (days) building a 215 photo slideshow in iPhoto. Came out perfect!! But now I find out I can't burn it to DVD FROM iPhoto!! Do I have to start all over again in iMovie or iDVD? Those programs do not have the "Ken Burns" visual effect, which I like very much. Please help.

Thanks ahead of time, Carleen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I've done a live chat with an Apple rep online. You and the Apple Rep basically instant message back and forth. It took me a long time to find it on the site but I finally did. However, I have no idea how to find it again. Sorry, can't help you with either of your 2 problems, but I'm sure there's someone in this forum who can.

M

MacHeadCase

Wow Carleen, looks like big problems. Did you try calling Apple Care and see what they have to say? The number I found in this Apple Support page is: 1-800-275-2273 and I think that's for the US. I've had to contact them once for my older G4 iMac and never had any problems talking to someone instantly.

As for the Final Cut Express HD app, it should be in a box all by itself or at least you should have a CD or DVD in the set of disks you got with your iMac. If it isn't there, Apple Care should have an answer or at least refer you to someone that has one.

Did you buy your iMac online, from an Apple Store near you or from a reseller?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
That's funny, now granted I have Applecare that I purchased with my machine, but I was able to get through pretty quickly to a live person when I called for a minor issue. You should be able to as well, assuming you're within the 90 free phone support window.

Did you call 1 800 APL CARE (800 275 2273)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
When I called AppleCare in the UK I got straight through to a human being. No messing at all.

M

MacHeadCase

Yep so me thinks Carleen didn't try calling AppleCare.

Carleen, about burning photos to DVD, you can burn them using Finder. Just make sure you don't use the ultra cheap brands or Memorex and they ought to work fine.

I use Toast Titanium, works very well but it isn't free.

Just create a folder and put all the photos you want to burn on DVD in it. In Finder, you should be able to pop in a blank DVD and Finder will ask you what it must do with the DVD.

Or even easier yet, create a Burn folder in Tiger. See attached screenshot below.

Burn_Folder.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Just make sure you don't use the ultra cheap brands or Memorex and they ought to work fine.

Actually, Memorex is a fine brand so long as you don't plan on using the contents of the disc ever again. I have personally been using Memorex as my brand of choice for frisbees for years.

Reaction score
Hey Carleen,

I bought my MBP a couple of weeks ago, and pre-installed Final Cut Express also. The key is in the black box with all your cds and dvd.

M

MacHeadCase

Actually, Memorex is a fine brand so long as you don't plan on using the contents of the disc ever again. I have personally been using Memorex as my brand of choice for frisbees for years.

ROFTL
icon10.gif

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24,2.33Ghz IntelCore2Duo,3GB RAM,750GB HardDrive,7600GT 256MB SDRAM Graphics,Final Cut Express
Dee-de-deeeee! I feel so stupid! Thank you, MHC; found the Final Cut Express discs that came with my iMac so should be able to solve that problem. Plus, I did not know of the "Apple Care" 800 number. Again, Thanks!! Oh, purchased my iMac online. Here's another problem: How do I put up a pic under my name on the left side of my forum replies?
Carleen

M

MacHeadCase

Don't feel like that, when we have a new OS to learn it takes patience: myself I started feeling ok with OS X after using it for about 2 years, coming from the world of Mac OS 7, 8 and 9.

About how to burn a dvd... Click on your desktop once to access Finder. In the menubar on the right side you will see a Help item. Click on it once and just type in the field Burn DVD in the window that appears. You will see a list of topics containing some info on burning DVDs. (See attached screenshot below)

Oh and you mean an avatar. Well you have to go to your user profile.

At the top of any Mac-Forums page, you will see Quick Links and from the drop down menu, choose Edit Profile.

Once in your profile, on the left hand side you will see Edit Avatar. That's where you have to change the settings. You can upload an image as long as it respects the size limit which is 100 by 100 pixels and the image cannot weigh more than 64.0 KB.

Hope this helps. :girl:

Apple_help.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At the top of the page click on profile. Go to 'Edit Avatar'. lf you want to put a picture from your computer there then go down to the second option and click 'browse'. Hope that helped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I started typing the answer to your question when nobody had answered, and when I posted it, 2 people had already answered the question. I need to type quicker.

Reaction score
BTW, i'm burning some DVDs right now and noticed the brand is Memorex. No coasters for me so far, LOLz

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Me, again....thanks all, especially MHC!!

Used your advice!! I want to use a photo of my puppy for my avatar, but it didn't work. Probably too large. Is it possible to reduce it someway to 100 by 100 pixels so it will work?

Carleen

M

MacHeadCase

Well you'll have to crop it as, just by looking at it, the original is not square sized. Do you have any image editing software?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ROFLMAO!!!! It worked!!

This is my 1 yr old Briard (a French herding dog, quite rare in the US). He's already a Champion and is known as "BaDaBingBaDaBoom" in the show ring, but we just call him Boomer.

Carleen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.