• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Silver Carbon Macbook

Reaction score
Silver Carbon Fiber Macbook Cover

Alrigh so i spent my weekend overlaying my macbook case in Silver carbon fiber (i have a white macbook) or else i would of done black carbon fiber. The picture is just the stage im in... i still need to do another layer of epoxy over the CF weave and then hit it with some clear coat... tell me what you think...

http://render2.snapfish.com/render2...?*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPGa|Rup6lQQ|/of=50,590,442

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
Cool looking!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz
It looks pretty cool to me. I'd like to see it in person(i think it probally looks a bit better in person then in the photo?).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
^^^^^
Same here.

And I hope it wasn't under warranty...

Since carbon fiber is reflective, the photo looks a little bit weird to me. Do you think you could get a better picture without the backlighting? Did you just coat your MacBook with resin and then lay the fiber over it? I am wondering how you went about doing it...

OP
M
Reaction score
it is reflective.. i just used the window to show the apple logo... im going to dremel that out... I bought used covers off ebay to do this... and not on my own cover. I first sanded down the cover and then mixed my epoxy... i let the epoxy sit on the cover for about 2-3 hours before i layed the Silver CF( its actually fiberglass with a coat over it.. no such thing as silver CF ...... in person its very reflective.... the process took about 12 hours and probably another 8 for the final process of clear coating and all that.... i think it looks nice and its something different. I'm in search of a black macbook case to do this with my Plain Weave black CF. Does anyone have interest in this and willing to purchase it if i overlayed them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD
So wait u actualy did that to ur macbook or is that a p-shop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
Not my style at all, but it's always cool to be original!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD
yea i dont like it either

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I remember seeing a black carbon fiber overlay on a Macbook a couple weeks back. That looked pretty cool, definitely original.

Have you finished the work yet? I would love to see a picture of the final product. Did you take pictures during the process? Maybe you could do a build log for us full of pictures. I'm sure people would love to see you go about your work, I know I would :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Looks like a pair of corduroy pants! kinda cool. I just put stickers of bands on mine. Nothing fancy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
show more pics please, i cant get a real impression on how it looks from the picture you offered, show it on a table with a view other than on overhead

OP
M
Reaction score
look out in the near future... there still needs to be some work done to it... i will post pictures of the finished product soon... i just need to trim around the edges and also need to cut out the apple logo and insert the original plastic apple in.... then a final gel coat over the thing...

Reaction score
Personally I'm not a fan, but if you put a lot of work into it, and you like, then that is all that matters. Good luck!.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think it's original and tasteful, so I give it a thumbs up!

I thought I was going to be somewhat original with MBP in classes, but there's at least 4 or 5 others in the class with them too, including to prof! Since then I've been having the itch to do something like that. I don't think I can do anything quite like that on an aluminum case though.

It would be cool if Apple or a third party came out with some kind of stick-on cover that made it a little more customized and personal: kind of like the type they make for cell phones, only better quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" c2d MBP/airprt extreme/ 500gb ext HD/TVmicro tuner/notepal coolmaster
i think its cool! everytime im at borders or barnes and noble, i see the same white mac book, so its cool to see some variety... imagine a laptop with real carbon fiber shell, durable and light... shave a few milligrams.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
Looks seriously cool. Does the screen and body line up when the lid is closed?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.