Which AIM client is the best?

Reaction score
Hello,

Which AIM client is the best? I would like to know, so I can use it and eventually get more comfortable with it. Please state why you like it, whether it's because of features, functionality, etc.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Adium is great I use it for MSN chat - but it does not support web cam yet.

Not used AOLs own chat program on mac.

iChat is great and should work with your web cam (Of course I am making perhaps a foolish assumption here - that you also have a MacBook??)

Ichat is very sexy - it's already installed as default - it's apple software so fits in with the OS very nice - I'd go for iChat if I were you.

However if you have an MSN account as well - then go for Adium as it will allow you to sign in to both AOL and MSN accounts at the same time (but remember - no web cam support yet)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Adium is extremely useful. Unless you are going to do video/audio chats, then you need iChat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I would have voted for iChat if it could communicate with MSN, Yahoo and other clients. Since it is not the case Adium is my first choice.

Reaction score
I would have voted for iChat if it could communicate with MSN, Yahoo and other clients. Since it is not the case Adium is my first choice.

I agree completely - this is the only reason I don't use iChat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

Ditto. So I have to use Adium with MSN because that's what all my friends use. But I'd love to use ichat if I could. Maybe Apple will change this in the future.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think he wanted AIM meaning AOL Instant Messenger. For that usage to ME, iChat is the best. I love the interface and it works great with Video and Audio chat also.

As stated already, for Yahoo and MSN I use Adium, but for my many friends on AIM, I use iChat and nothing else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
What's the chance of iChat opening up to yahoo? I primarily use yahoo IM beta and it supports vid and file transfer like a champ. I've heard the profound abillity of iChat's vid support but I don't know anyone on it. Can it be an all in one client like adium? That would really rock. But til then Yahoo Mes. Beta will do. I have adium but don't use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
none of my friends use anything but aim so i use ichat 99% of the time. the other 1% belongs to adium because its customization options are really nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPro 2.4 Core 2 Duo 2gig 256mb video
Adium

Adium because it is faster, more customizable, and doens't crash like AIM!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uhhh macbook (black) 120gb HD 2gb Ram and a intel core duo processor at 2.o ghz
ADIUM!!! that is the best

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz, 1GB RAM
Adium is a wonderful, wonderful program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 4GB 1333MHz 320GB / 60G iPod Touch
Adium, of course...

Reaction score
Hi there - newb post here...

I am also a recent Adium user, but I still like iChat for the simplicity and video/audio support.

Had a question though - has anyone else had any problems when using Adium and CS2 at the same time? More specifically, Adobe Illustrator? I've noticed that my Illustrator has been crashing but it seems to be only when Adium is active. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem. (sorry if this should be in a different thread... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
i use Adium for msn and ichat for AIM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.0ghz
Adium is the best, hands down. It's the perfect port of Pidgin (which ranks best multi-protocol IM client imho) to Cocoa. On the rare instance I need voice I use Skype or Gizmo, if I knew anyone else with a webcam I'd use Skype for video.

Reaction score
i also use Adium for my AIM and MSN contacts.

for some reason, i cant send files via Adium and no webcam support, so i use iChat to do both.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.