Which AIM client is the best?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
iChat is the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 2 GHz 2GB RAM 120GB HDD
i think ichat is the best out there since its apple :D but if there would have been a way to enable facebook, skype or msn chat in it i would have used it. since all my friends only use that..
Since i´m from norway almost nobody uses aim..

There is a way to bring your MSN friends into iChat. It uses PSI (a chat client) for the initial set up, and you have to set up a Jabber account to do it. I've used it for a while in the past (no longer use MSN period.) and it worked fine!

MSN in iChat.

iChat is what I prefer. I only use AIM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Yahoo as Jabber

I would have voted for iChat if it could communicate with MSN, Yahoo and other clients. Since it is not the case Adium is my first choice.

iChat can do Yahoo. Just add "[email protected]" as a Jabber account. It works with my GTalk, so Yahoo should work just fine as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a way to do Facebook chat in iChat? That would be nice.... a plug-in, or something.... maybe as a Jabber account?

Reaction score
aMSN simply since you can use the webcam with friends on MSN. Wish we could ichat on MSN.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24in, Macbook, 8g iTouch, 32g iTouch
Adium Webcam support

For those who missed it ( apparently that's a lot of people )

Adium HAS WEBCAM SUPPORT.

It's a quick plugin avail trough the adium site called Mebeam. Use it and stop whining.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 24inch - 2.94GHZ - 4GB RAM - 650 HDD
I like Adium but i would like to see the developers make webcam and audio features within it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
If you're not big on audio/video chats, Adium is far and away the winner. There's a lot more customizing you can do, and Growl notification capability is really nice. I tried iChat for a while, and it just wasn't doing it for me.

Personally, I use Adium for my AIM and MobileMe chat accounts, and Skype for video & audio chats.

If you want chats and video/audio together, iChat is the best option. If you don't do video chats, Adium is my pick. If you can stand two chat applications, Adium and Skype is a good combo.

Reaction score
I have used pretty much every single conceivable chat client out there when I first started using my Mac. I started with MSN Messenger for Mac, and felt it to be the worst chat client ever. Connections would be dropped, sometimes I won't be able to connect, or my contacts won't load at all. I have tried aMSN, Mercury, iChat, and a bunch of other web-based chat clients. I can tell you that Adium is the best chat client out there for chatting purposes. I have AIM on my Adium right now, and it pretty much works seamlessly with all my other accounts (MSN and Gmail). Also, like somebody mentioned, I use Skype for my video chatting, and it is probably the best client for that sort of thing. I do wonder why Adium has yet to implement video chat into its application though, but we'll see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MB, Leopard, 2.1 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, 144 mb integrated VRAM, bluetooth.
Adium.

FLOSS, huge set of extensions, huge list of chat support, and easily customizable.

C

chas_m

Adium is pretty nice, but iChat does *very* high quality audio/video chats -- better even than Skype -- plus it allows me to do screen sharing (incredibly handy for helping people) AND allows me to do remote presentations, multi-person A/V chats and more.

It's clearly the best AIM client by a long way (though I certainly think Adium is the best multi-protocol client).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.4C2D/4GB/250GB
adium has always been my fav.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.