Trouble with Ethernet

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm in New Zealand now (I don't know if they would have anything to do with the problem) and my ethernet doesn't work! Last semester it was working fine, and I haven't tampered with the network settings since then (because I don't know what the hail I'm doing) When I check status, the little button next to it is yellow, instead of green and says its plugged up but may not work because I have a self-assigned IP address. I called apple and they gave me no help because I don't have apple care. I called my internet provider and they said from their end, it looks like I am plugged into the net and should be working fine. So my question is: how do I fix this problem? My wireless works flawlessly by the way, but I don't get a wireless connection in my room :radioacti

Please help me! I hate having to sit out on the yard at night just to use my laptop, I'd like to use it in the comfort of my own room. New Zealand is pretty cool by the way on a side note! l:headphone

Reaction score
If you are connected to a modem, power the modem down, wait for 10 minutes and then power the modem back up. Same goes for the router if applicable. This will force them to hard-reset the IP's registered. I can't think of anything better at the mo.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - Network -
Show: Built-in Ethernet
Click on the TCP/IP tab
Configure IPv4: Using DHCP (not Using DHCP with manual address)
Click on the 'Renew DHCP Lease' button

See where this gets ya

OP
A
Reaction score
yogi:

I'm not connected to a modem, not trying to be rude, but usually in college dorms its just an ethernet plug into the wall usually next to a phone line where you can also plug that in as well. There is no modem to turn on and off in my room.

bobtomay:
so the problem is with my computer?? I don't understand how it worked fine and then when I come here I have a problem. I NEVER tamper with the settings so.....this is all brand new to me.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Only going by the message you are providing, saying it is not working due to having a self-assigned IP address. You need to have the address assigned by the DHCP server not internally. These are the settings I gave you above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.