not reading dvds

Reaction score
I have a macbook, only a little over a month old. The DVD player was working fine even yesterday, but today it just won't read the discs. It'll read games or burned cds/dvds but not an actual dvd. Is there some way I can fix this? I hear it spinning and the dvd player opens, but the disc never shows as being in the computer and when I try to press play it says "Supported disc not available."

Reaction score
G'day nosnah227 & welcome to Mac-Forums.

Firstly, are you running this from an Admin account? Secondly, try repairing permissions:

Macintosh HD>Applications>Utilities>Disc Utility>Repair Permissions.

Thirdly, try giving the disc a bit of a clean with a soft tissue but go in a circular direction - not from the centre to the outer part.

Let us know how you get on.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks! It was actually all dvds.. not just one, but it magically fixed itself. I just stopped trying for a little while and about an hour later I tried again and it worked. I don't really know what happened, but it was very frustrating. Thanks for your help, though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.