Sporadic ethernet link

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 2.0Ghz 17"
I had been using the AirPort on my G5 for a long time and have recently moved into a new house, in which I've installed a wired network and have a wiring closet.

Everything works fine except for my iMac. The ethernet connection has been sporadic at best - when it works, it's great, but most of the time since I've had it up the link is simply inactive. This is the onboard ethernet.

I've tried different cables, going straight from the iMac to the switch, straight to the modem...all with no results. The link simply remains inactive no matter what I do. I shut the computer down for about half an hour earlier and brough it back up, the ethernet worked then (and beautifully), but later in the day - without the iMac going to sleep - ethernet was down again.

I've tried looking in the logs but all I see is the standard "link is down" stuff in system.log.

Could I have a bad ethernet jack? I'm getting a USB adapter for ethernet tomorrow, maybe that will get me running - but I want a working ethernet jack. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Specifically: iMac G5, OSX 10.4.8
iMac --> Netgear GS105 switch --> Smoothwall box --> Internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
restart. then try.

if not take it into apple and let them have a look or ring them up

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.