External Firewire Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
I am looking to get an external firewire hard drive for my iBook. I want at least a 120GB drive. I have been looking around for them and have found some good prices but I wanted to see what you would reccomend. Is there any brands/manufacturers that I should stay away from.

Thanks in advance

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
Lacie do really good firewire hard drives, and reasonable prices too.Cant be sure but i havent seen anybody else selling a terrabyte hard drive besides them.

dmachine said:
I am looking to get an external firewire hard drive for my iBook. I want at least a 120GB drive. I have been looking around for them and have found some good prices but I wanted to see what you would reccomend. Is there any brands/manufacturers that I should stay away from.

Thanks in advance

Nick

A

adam80

Ive been looking for one as well, im leaning towards building my own. You can get a case on eBay for between $15 to $30 and the hard drive is cheaper as well since your just buying the drive. You can easily save yourself a $100 by doing this. Still debating on it, want to research it some more.

I

iSteve

citystar2k said:
Lacie do really good firewire hard drives, and reasonable prices too.Cant be sure but i havent seen anybody else selling a terrabyte hard drive besides them.

1 terabyte = 1000GB

G

ghenrytaylor

adam80 said:
Ive been looking for one as well, im leaning towards building my own. You can get a case on eBay for between $15 to $30 and the hard drive is cheaper as well since your just buying the drive. You can easily save yourself a $100 by doing this. Still debating on it, want to research it some more.

That's the way I did it. Small firewire case (2.5"), and a Travelstar laptop HD off EBay. Got the firewire cable from Apple. Now I use them to back up my iBook. Works like a charm.

W

WilliS

just be careful...make sure the case is able to supply its own power through firewire

i havent been able to find a 3.5" drive that can run off the firewire power.... anyone knows if its possible?

C

Chamorro

Probably possible, but I wouldn't do it...why tax your computer's power supply unnecessarily?

Also, I forgot in my earlier post to say: try to plug it (and any other FireWire device) into a separate powered hub...it'll save you from frying your FireWire port(s) on your computer.

D

demos-o

i build my own

it takes about 6 minutes and is about 100 cheaper for a 250 gb drive.

seagate still has 5 yr warraty on their drives, no one else does anymore.
buy a new one. my refurb just croaked but my new ones have been 100% forever.

i use speed metal hdd enclosures with fw and usb. downside is external power, but upside is no fan noise. aluminum shell acts as good heat sink.

J

johnny5w

Chamorro said:
Probably possible, but I wouldn't do it...why tax your computer's power supply unnecessarily?

Also, I forgot in my earlier post to say: try to plug it (and any other FireWire device) into a separate powered hub...it'll save you from frying your FireWire port(s) on your computer.

Or you can just use a ground lift.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.