Mac Newbie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac. 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 Gb 667 MHz Ram
Hi gang,

I am new to Macs and network/routers as well, so I apologize if my terminology is incorrect. I have lots of questions, but will try to limit it to 2 or 3.

I just bought a new iMac to add to our 6 year old Dell PC. So I had to buy a wireless router to permit both computers to connect to the internet. The PC is connected via ethernet cable and iMac via wireless. I also bought an Airport Express to put on my home stereo so I could stream iTunes onto my stereo (airtunes?). So I have two networks on Airport .

It appears that I cannot use the two networks at the same time (ie surf the web and listen to iTunes over my home stereo). Is that correct?

I seem to have to toggle between the two networks to get what I want to work, but if the Mac goes to sleep, the Mac seems to reset to the Airtunes network. Is there a way to change which network the Mac defaults to?

Thanks.

Mac Newbie Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm pretty sure you can use both at the same time. My cousin also has an iMac which connects to the Internet via a Linksys router and connects to his home theater system via Airtunes.

Sorry I can't help as to the specifics of getting it to work, but at least I know that it CAN.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
You need to configure you Express as a wireless client.
Use the Airport setup assistant to have it join your existing wireless network. That way it wont broadcast its own signal it will simply attach itself wirelessly to your router and you can surf and play music at the same time.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac. 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 Gb 667 MHz Ram
You need to configure you Express as a wireless client.
Use the Airport setup assistant to have it join your existing wireless network. That way it wont broadcast its own signal it will simply attach itself wirelessly to your router and you can surf and play music at the same time.

Thanks IronMac,

I'll give this a try and let you know how it works out.

Mac Newbie Bill

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.