USB Password Protection Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I'm looking for some (free would be nice) software that will protect my 4 gig USB stick. Is this already built into the Mac OS and can it be loaded onto my USB stick and I'm missing it, or do I need to buy something like this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
How about creating a 4 GB virtual encrypted volume on it (a 4 GB .dmg file)? Achieves pretty much the same thing. See this link for the very easy instructions on how to do this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107333

Of course you probably can't get exactly 4 GB on it, there is some file system overhead, but it would be close.

Then when you plugged in the USB stick, it would mount on the desktop, and would contain only one file, the encrypted .dmg volume file. Double clicking on that would cause Mac OS X to prompt for a password. Supply it and you are in - the encrypted volume would mount on your desktop as another drive.

I use a similar setup myself, although not on a USB memory stick, so I know that this will work well.

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
If I approach it this way will I be able to open the USB stick with a Windows PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
no. DMGs can't be read by a PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
anything u really find for a flash drive is going to be PC only. that really hurts us mac people.

the dmg is really the only route i can think of. problems with that are of course windows cant use it. and it can simply be deleted, which makes it useless for me. i think there are apps out for PC's that can read a dmg file. now as far as installing them on a school XP machine, good luck. my schools pc's are locked down pretty **** hard.

have you thought about using a .zip file with encryption? im not sure how the mac would handle that, but maybe it can do it.

that could be the only alternative i see

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded a program called Knox 1.1.1 and what I'm trying to do is load the program onto the stick then drag my files into the Knox vault which will then lock them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Does Knox work with Windows? I hunted it up and it *looks* like a Mac only program. If that is the case, and it is $29.95, why not go the .dmg route? It is free.

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No it does not work w/Windows. I'm working with a freebie now called Hide Folders and it seems to do what I want (so far).

Basically here is what I'm doing. I have some sensitive employee files on my memory stick that I don't want a co-worker to see when I give the USB stick to her when she updates my QuickBooks file. I want this to be very easy and that is what Hide Folders currently does, very easy to use. I open Hide Folders on the USB stick, then drag the files I don't want her to see into it. The only problem I'm having is the free version does not come with the password protect feature, so Ihave to buy the "Pro" version for $14.95 to password protect the hidden files.

M

MacHeadCase

Dillinger-63, you're sure it won't show up on a Windows machine, that is correct? Maybe you should test it first...

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dillinger-63, you're sure it won't show up on a Windows machine, that is correct? Maybe you should test it first...

Not sure, I'll have to test it.

M

MacHeadCase

True that, sometimes hidden files on Macs show up on a Windows machine. Like for example the .ds_store files and such. Better make sure. :girl:

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The program I finally settled on is iProtector and it can be found here: http://www.codefuzion.com I really don't know the difference between the registered version and non-registered version though. I'm waiting for the developer to email me back on that question.

Update: The free version will let you use the basic form or encryption, the registered copy lets you choose from 20 different types and the cost is $9.95

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.