• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What is Your Mac's Name?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I guess I am just odd.. I don't name my Mac's. What would be the point of giving a computer a name? Do you call it over like a dog? do you talk to it? I guess i just dont see the point. ;)

Well, I'm referring to the computer's host name which is usually generated randomly during OS installation. I guess some people actually refer to their machines by a pet name. In my case, I just like to give it an easy to remember name for when I remotely access it over the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
I named my iBook G3- CryBook. Why? Because the sound doesn't work at all and its slow and pointless to use.

Im not disappointed, its my first and only mac that runs OSX(my first/last mac was an iBook that ran Linux). Soon I will definately not be disappointed. I just got my first job and I'm gonna save up about $700 or $800 and buy a used Powerbook. I see no need to run Windows on a mac and I don't need anything extremely powerful, so I'll just go with a G4. :)

I already picked a name for it. Shiny. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP- 2.4GHz (13-inch), 8GB, 250GB; Mac mini 2.0, 2GB, 120GB HD; 2017 iPad 9.7, iPhone 11Pro (64GB)
I occasionally call my Quad or my iBook names, but none of them can be posted here...

LOL @ baggss

I call my Powerbook, Flashover. The name is from one of my many favorite alcoholic cocktails.

Buuurrrpppp.........Excuse me!
ignore.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
My mac's are very uncreatively named... My Mini is named BrandonMini, my MBP is named BrandonMBP. These go well with BrandonServer and BrandonLappy. I also refer to my MBP as Primo.Mobile, citing it's Premium Mobile nature... as it outperforms every PC at my house or my dad's house in absolutely everything... including games running under XP via BootCamp. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I like to set whimsical hostnames for my computers. I gives me a way to refer to them, if nothing else. My current machines are:

Macbook: Foul Ol' Ron
Thinkpad #1 (son's): Lightning (as in McQueen)
Thinkpad #2 (daughter's): Princess
Satellite Pro 480: Snork
Desktop/Fileserver (Ubuntu): Maverick
Tungsten T3: 71 Hour Ahmed
K800i (phone): Mr Teatime

Reaction score
Yes, I usually name mine... using country names. Share names get city names from that country.

Examples of \\machine\volume names:
\\japan\tokyo (Dell workstation)
\\canada\toronto (T23 thinkpad)
\\australia\sydney (Dell fileserver)

Funny thing is, I've had my macbook for several months now and hadn't even thought out the name. I shall think upon a suitable name. :cool:

Reaction score
My school last year used God's from mythology and this year uses cities. I named mine "The Eye" Cause I am a big Carolina Hurricanes fan!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
My friend calls his G5 "The Mac" for obvious reasons.

But it had to go in to the shop for repair a while back. It came back repaired with a clean install of the OS, as can be expected. However, the tech who reinstalled it didn't enter my friend's name or details. He just put "imac" in the name field. This means that its official name is "imac's Imac G5" lol. He hasn't changed it because it has become too funny :)

Reaction score
Arjun's iMac. Just like "Arjun's iPod". For family network recognition purposes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Whiplash, and the HD partitions are Whiplash, Fixxxer, and Overkill.

iPod is named Blitzkrieg.

Reaction score
I call mine "shirochan" which is Japanese and means something like whitey in English.

kuchiki

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Mini is Frank and my Ibook is George

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.