Newbies Questions about Mac and OS X

Reaction score
I’ve been using a PC since I was about 5. I had plans to get myself a new pc in few months, hopefully for my 17th birthday as I want to learn more advanced graphic programs (3D software) that will need better hardware, but the growing popularity of Macintosh computers has drowned me to check it out.
I do graphics, design, art, music and generally lots of creative stuff on my 4 years old PC using different programs that work really slowly on bigger quality stuff (e.g. 500+ dpi graphic).

Now I have a question. If I was going to get Mac Pro with OS X and I know that Photoshop works on MACs, could I install all programs like: Corel Painter, Corel Draw, Corel Photo-paint, Macromedia, Bryce, 3DS Max 7, Maya and more?
Do MACs sport professional 3D software like Maya or I’m I better of with a PC?

Any advice would be very helpfull. Thx.
[MGX890]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Painter, almost all of the Macromedia apps, Bryce and Maya all have Mac OS X versions.

CorelDraw used to be available for the Mac, but it was dropped years ago. Adobe Illustrator (and Macromedia FreeHand) owned the market for vector drawing software on the Mac.

To find other Mac software, look at http://macupdate.com/ or http://versiontracker.com/

OP
M
Reaction score
Tanks for your help.
I need to get as much research and advice so I can decide if I shoud get a MAC or PC for graphic designing and creativity.
Thanks also for the informational links that will help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Checking their sites is best, and if you own copies of the software for PC many companies will send you MAC versions for the cost of shipping when you let the customer support know about your format change.

That was a nice little surprise for me when switching, not something they would have to do.

Reaction score
One of the things going on in the Mac world now is the switch to intel chips. Some of the pro level apps run real slow on the intel chips, and the new versions are in the works like photoshop CS3. Someone here will know alot more about this, and I hope will help clear it up.

Reaction score
That's definitely true - I'm about to buy my first Mac (Pro) in a few months, and as I use Photoshop most of the time, I'm waiting for CS3 to go final so I can buy it straight out in MacOS format.

-Bryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.