osX equivilent to 'F5' for refresh folder?

Reaction score
How do I update the finder window to show changes in files since it was opened? In XP this is F5, or in the menu, view/refresh. I can't seem to find it in Finder?

Thanks

-David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The refresh happens automatically. I have never had to do a manual refresh on my machine.

OP
W
Reaction score
The refresh happens automatically. I have never had to do a manual refresh on my machine.

Not on mine... I'm overwritting a files and want to check filesizes, but they don't update until I click on them. Maybe they'll update at some point, but in the time I searched for some update option, it never updated.

-David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hrmmmm... It should update if you change the arrangement. You could also restart the Finder, though that is a bit extreme.

Of course, if you close the window and reopen it, that would refresh it as well. (I know that isn't a shortcut, but it will refresh it :black: )

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
does option+r work like it does in safari?

it is weird that it doesn't refresh on its own - mine does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Unibody Macbook Pro, 10.6.8
I've noticed that my refresh does not work in the finder anymore either. I used to watch newly renamed files shift up or down after about a second. Now it doesn't happen anymore, I have to click on another file to "wake up" finder, and then it moves. 10.4, fully updated here. An no, command+R doesn't work in the finder.

Reaction score
An answer for F5...

I know this is an old post but for newbies like me the info is pertinent. Like others in this thread finder was not automatically updating. This is corrected by left clicking within the finder window and selecting the sort by option. Mine was selected to none once I selected 'by name' it now auto updates to reflect file changes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.