GarageBand Questions.

Reaction score
Well I just got my GuitarPlug and plugged my Strat into the MBP via usb. I figured out how to record into garage band, but I still have a few questions.

How do I do monitoring? Where I can hear what it is recording? I tried the monitoring option in the area you choose the instrument but still nothing.

Also to replay what I just recorded, do I have to export to itunes everytime?

I tried moving the slider back and forth but no sound is coming out.

Thanks
DTT

Reaction score
What are you using for speakers?

To replay what you just recorded all you have to do is press the play button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in. 2.33Ghz Intel C2D MBP, 2 GB RAM, 160GB HD, 256MB ATI Video
First off, I am a recent switcher (as of last month), and GarageBand is by far my favorite application. My primary reason for switching was to record and make music with ease.

Thus, the first thing I wanted to do was plug my Strat into my computer and press record. In order to do this you need an interface to the computer (M-Audio FastTrack, GuitarPlug, iMic, etc.). However, you can plug directly into the computer using a special cable that features a 1/4" plug for your guitar jack and an 1/8" plug that goes into your input jack (the one next to your headphone jack) on the computer. I use Griffin's GarageBand Guitar Cable.

Once you have gotten this far, be sure to check your preferences to make sure you have the right input selected. Simply click Garageband > Preferences > Audio/MIDI tab. Make sure Built-in Input (or GuitarPlug, if that is the interface you are using -- it should be an option if it is plugged in your USB) is selected as your Audio Input. Then create a new track to record your guitar (Track > New Track, or Option+Command+N) and select Real Instrument. To see the track's info, select Track > Show Track Info (Command+I). In the Track Info pane to the right there should be a Monitor option. Simply select it so it reads "On" and you should be able to hear your guitar as you play. Some guitar layers are louder than others, so be sure to turn up your speakers or select a layer that's loud enough to make sure it is working properly. As a side note, make sure mic volume is turned all the way down (the option right above Monitor in the Track Info Pane) as a precaution to avoid any kind of feedback.

You may have known much of this, but maybe I stated something you may have missed. Be sure to check your audio preferences. By the way, I would invest in some decent speakers or headphones if possible, because GarageBand's built-in loops and effects are fantastic.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
I'm sure it's just a matter of ticking a certain box ... or at least I'm fairly sure that's all I had to do to hear myself ... it's important to hear what you play if you're jamming along with a backing track.

I hope this is for the Mac-Forums Official Guitar-Off, DeathtoToasters?

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
I'm sure it's just a matter of ticking a certain box ... or at least I'm fairly sure that's all I had to do to hear myself ... it's important to hear what you play if you're jamming along with a backing track.

I hope this is for the Mac-Forums Official Guitar-Off, DeathtoToasters?

I could only wish it was for the Guitar-Off. I have been doing barre chords for the past 3 days and my fingers are killing me. I am so new this that there is no way I would put any video of me on there.

The best I can do is the intro to Wanted Dead or Alive :)

Reaction score
Stick to the practise and you'll be right. Barre Chords are a quantum leap but once your fingers strengthen up it's a breeze! The F chord is pretty hard as is B# with the root note on the A string. But don't let these stop you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.