Digital Camera help

Reaction score
I am in the market to get a new digital camera. I am looking at a Sony DSC-F707 right now, is this a good camera or would you suggest something else? I have a Canon A400 and I hate it, I have onwed Sony in the past.

Thanks,
<R>

M

MacHeadCase

The only reviews I could find was this one and this one.

Is this an old camera? Those reviews, with the same model number say the camera was released in 2001?

OP
F
Reaction score
It is an older model but is still like $400 on any retailer if you search on froogle. It's 5mp, I don't know much about cameras of this level.

Thanks,
<R>

M

MacHeadCase

Personally, instead of paying $400 for old technology, I would look at brand new models going for $400 instead. In 5, almost 6 years, technology for digital photography has vastly improved. Not to mention that with a new camera, you also get a warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The DSC-F707 is an excellent camera. It is an older model, but I can tell you that it takes fabulous images. I was always very impressed with it.

A key attribute of its images is VERY low digital noise (or grain) in the output images. Very smooth. The only thing I have found that is better is the Canon EOS 10D/20D/30D series, which are WAY more expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
This may have been the model I purchased several years ago and used for about a month before returning it. For a "Compact" or "Point and shoot" style camera it is very big and in my opinion you might as well invest in a SLR with changeable lenses.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice so far!

I want an alpha, believe me! I don't have $1000 on the other hand, I have $400 max. I just bought a new macbook and I just wanted a decent upgrade from what I have. I was looking at the F707 because they can be had on ebay for $200-250. So getting some older tech doesn't hurt. I also did my research and Sony made a F717 model. The model that most intruiges me is the F828. The F828 is the one I am after unless I can come up with something better! I am on the prowl for a F828 and trying to make a deal with a pawn guy on ebay for $425. That camera is 8mp. Anymore advice is appretiated.

Thanks,
<R>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
That sounds more familiar, the F828...black and large lens. Took very clean images.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
save yourself a few bucks and take a look at the panasonic lumix DMC-TZ1.

fantastic camera, great optics, lots of options.

390968287_9789af37d1.jpg

i'm still learning its ins and outs, but it does take really nice low light shots (something some digital cameras may lack).

here's a sample of what its capable of in better hands than mine:
Lumix DMC-TZ1 on flickr

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
re: lens size.

right on renegade. i had an old 3mp Olympus that was like a brick (back when 3mp camera would set you back 500 bucks). it had a large lens and a lens cap and you had to have some baggy cargo pants to put the thing in your pocket. but other than a slight tendency to make pics a bit warm, it took a great photo.

i ditched it for a much more compact Nikon Coolpix3200. basically the same stats - 3mp, 3x optical zoom. but it had a tiny lens with an automatic lens cover. my photos, especially the low light shots or indoor shots were extrememly poor in comparison.

so, i ditched the cheapie Nikon for this Lumix. i love it. inconvenient lens cap and all. i'll admit too that the draw of something in this price range with large Leica optics was hard (actually impossible) to resist!

OP
F
Reaction score
So I couldn't make a deal for the F828 so I'm looking to newer technolgy now. I used a guys Canon sd630 today to take some pics for warranty at work and I was impressed, any comments on that model? I don't know about the Panasonic, the review say no about low level stuff. What a mess of things to go through to buy a new camera!

<R>

M

MacHeadCase

My partner has an A620 and it's a great little camera.

Jeff Keller's review of the PowerShot A630 and A640 has sample images under different light conditions, pros and cons, etc.

I'm a Canon girl, myself. ;^)

OP
F
Reaction score
I got my camera tday off the UPS truck, I love it so far. I have never had a camera of this caliber before and I must admit I'm still in awe!!! Here are some pics!

camera1.JPG

camera2.JPG

Thanks,
<R>

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
holy shnikies!

good luck with it!

Reaction score
that camera look sick!
i think you will be alot happier with something like that then what you were looking at.
dslrs are so much more adjustable your going to love it!
props bud

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.