folder browsing question

Reaction score
this is probably such a newbie mistake on my part but here goes. As i dont like using the track pad on my macbook, is there anyway to select a folder or menu icon without having to actually use the trackpad? i tried pushing enter but that just seems to select it to change the name.

Also..the menu at the top (Finder, File, Edit etc) any quick ways of selecting those? i was told Apple cmd key+shift+F2...but that doesnt work as it just brightens or dimmens my screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
Instead of enter, use command + down arrow. This will open the selected folder/app/doc. If command+shift+f2 doesn't work, give fn+command+shift+f2 a try. Alternatively, You can use a regular usb mouse and set it up to ignore the trackpad when a mouse is plugged in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
This is sorta related to your question...

Since you dislike having to use the trackpad I'd suggest checking out a program like Quicksilver. It's a great app that is designed to keep your hands on the keyboard for almost every task you do. Check it out... if you dislike the track pad I bet you'll love it! Besides it's free ware so no loss if you hate it! At first I didn't see what the fuss was about using a launching program like this... but now that I am used to it I can't imagine not having it!

http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.