Core duo v Core 2 duo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16Ghz core2duo, 1GB, superdrive
Hi,

I used to be a member here around August 2005 when i last considered switching to mac, unfortunatley the deal i wanted on a mac mini was out of stock and i got persuaded by a good deal on a windows laptop, this lead to me ordering all the software i needed and then returning the laptop because it was not as advertised. Left with the software i decided to build myself a pc and just borrow my mothers laptop when i need something portable.

I am now looking at getting myself a laptop and after lots of thought i decided its time to switch, one of the main deciding factors being the lameness of vista (which i actually sell as part of my part time job).

I am now looking at getting a macbook since my budget was originally £600.

As i see it i have two options:

1) Go for a refurb for £549 which has the exact spec of the new one except it has a core duo processor

2) Wait for leopard and buy a new one with a core 2 duo processor for £700 with my student discount

What i want to know is if the difference between core duo and core 2 duo is a lot, at the end of the day it might be worth just buying the refurb and upgrading to leopard when it comes out.

I am a student and will use it to run MS office, surf the net, use MSN IM, email, watch videos, listen to music, use it with my ipod, play pocket tanks.

I wont use it for any other gaming because ive got a 360 for that.

Also i want to attach it to my current wireless network, will it pick up my printers and shared folders?

Thanks

Mike

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Hi,

I used to be a member here around August 2005 when i last considered switching to mac, unfortunatley the deal i wanted on a mac mini was out of stock and i got persuaded by a good deal on a windows laptop, this lead to me ordering all the software i needed and then returning the laptop because it was not as advertised. Left with the software i decided to build myself a pc and just borrow my mothers laptop when i need something portable.

I am now looking at getting myself a laptop and after lots of thought i decided its time to switch, one of the main deciding factors being the lameness of vista (which i actually sell as part of my part time job).

I am now looking at getting a macbook since my budget was originally £600.

As i see it i have two options:

1) Go for a refurb for £549 which has the exact spec of the new one except it has a core duo processor

2) Wait for leopard and buy a new one with a core 2 duo processor for £700 with my student discount

What i want to know is if the difference between core duo and core 2 duo is a lot, at the end of the day it might be worth just buying the refurb and upgrading to leopard when it comes out.

I am a student and will use it to run MS office, surf the net, use MSN IM, email, watch videos, listen to music, use it with my ipod, play pocket tanks.

I wont use it for any other gaming because ive got a 360 for that.

Also i want to attach it to my current wireless network, will it pick up my printers and shared folders?

Thanks

Mike

The refurb will do everything you want just fine and I have had no problems with wireless networks with mine.

As everyone will tell you ad-nausium, max out the RAM. (If you can get the 5400 speed HD as well, it makes quite a difference)

Amen-Moses

btw, the Core 2 Duo is about 25% faster than the Core Duo apparently.

OP
jenic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, think i'll just go for the refurb, got to buy my motorbike insurance first which i cant buy until a week on monday and then i'll know where i am money wise plus i get paid next week. I'm so excited.
Truth is my insurance is going to be about half what i expected so i have a lot of spare cash and i was either going to get a new tv or a laptop, i think i am going to make the right choice, i just hope their still available when i want to purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
so i have a lot of spare cash and i was either going to get a new tv or a laptop, i think i am going to make the right choice, i just hope their still available when i want to purchase.

Why not do both?

(Just one example, never used it. Actually use an old windows box with a WinTV card as my TV; hooked up to my DirecTivo, but someday I'll get a TV card for my Macbook)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The key differences are about a 10% to 15% better performance from a same clock rate Core 2 Duo vs. a Core Duo, and the fact that the Core 2 Duo is 64 bit while the Core Duo is 32 bit. Since Leopard is supposed to include 64 bit support, this suggests that the Core 2 Duo may perform better under Leopard when it comes out. Of course it isn't out yet, so we can't say for sure!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook white, 2.0 ghz core duo, 2gb ram, 160gb hd, superdrive
I also read that the Core 2 Duo macbooks produce less heat than the Core Duo machines. Both are still fairly warm though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
the fact that the new c2d mb create less heat....ive never seen any proof of this. they are identical machines except for the cpu, no cooling feature changes. ive used both, and can say i noticed -0- difference in terms of heat.

now my c2d mbp is another story. but it seems apple has re-situated the vents on the c2d's vs the cd (and their alleged heat issue)

Reaction score
i was in the same dilema, but chose the core duo. Got such an incredible deal, that I couldn't pass it up. My co-worker has the new MBP C2D, and we both maxed out the ram at 2gig. On start up mine is faster, and when doing certain photoshop stuff, we found mine quicker. Not sure why this is, but my point is that I wasn't in any way disappointed with the fact that I chose the Core Duo over the C2D.

I've been using it for 4 months now, and have had no problems what so ever. I love it, and don't think I'll ever go back to pc again!

Thanks Mac Forum for letting me see the light!

OP
jenic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am pretty much decided on the refurb, but i now have another dilemma.

Should i spend an extra £50 and get a 2ghz processor rather than 1.83ghz and also a superdrive rather than a combo.

The superdrive is a minor thing as i have a windows pc that has one (well a dvd+-rw) and that is the one i use for all my video stuff, infact its the one i'm using now. But if i move out of my parent house if i go to uni then i wil probably just take the MB o it could be useful.

Also, on the refurb site it gives no specs for the cheaper one, it looks like some *** has messed up the site, i presume it has bluetooth and 54g wireless as standard with all macbooks since day one (well when core duo came out).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
Can someone layout the major difference between the 802.11g vs N. I've been back and forth with this and don't understand the fuss. Is it primarily dealing with data transfers via network or will it increase surfing time is this the holy grail and really deserve all the fuss? I'm one of the guys that got a duo a month before the C2D came out. Thank you Mr. Jobs.:eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
N is faster wireless network speeds. It doesn't really matter for internet, as most people aren't even using G to its potential. THe N speed boost will only affect transfers over your local network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
N is faster wireless network speeds. It doesn't really matter for internet, as most people aren't even using G to its potential. THe N speed boost will only affect transfers over your local network.

So how do I use G to its full potential? I was correct about the network stuff. So if i'm buying an apple tv its worth it but otherwise not. But I'm curious on what you mean by using G to its fullest. I like to get the total bang out of my buck and I'm constantly trying to learn newer way on how to. I'm new to the mac and love it of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It depends on your internet provider. Most providers aren't anywhere near as fast as the G speeds allow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whats your thought on the old base station extremes(space ship)? I'm currently using the router that I was supplied with by ATT( they're listening to your conversations) its a 2wire 2700hg-b. I was thinking about buying one of those space ship looking things or getting an express. Would a new router do me any good. The thing is I want to have a network EXHD and or printer. Speed isn't really a huge factor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure if the old Extremes support a HD, but I do know they work with a printer.

OP
jenic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could anyone tell me if its worth the extra £50 for a faster processor and superdirve.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
That's really up to you to decide if it is worth it.

IMO.. yes, very much worth it.

Reaction score
Me too, same boat.

I've also been considering making the switch to Mac, and I've got a line on a used Macbook Black, with ram updated to 1 gig, super drive but it's got the Core Duo, not the Core 2 duo... I was also wondering if it's worth it to pay more for the C2D. I'm looking at 1100 CDN, and the new ones with C2D are 1600 CDN.

Opinions from the experts are welcome :)

Zarly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.