MacBook + HD Projector

Reaction score
Ok, I am the proud owner of a MacBook, and I am looking into buying an HDTV projector for my dorm room. What connections do I need to look for in order to connect my MacBook into the HDTV projector? I know that it has a mini-dvi port, so if I bought a mini-dvi to vga adaptor, would that give me as good quality as a mini-dvi to dvi then having a dvi to dvi cord? I was looking at this projector:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1600-Lumens-LCD...ryZ75423QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Can anyone tell me if this would be good enough for my needs? I'm not really that big on quality, and I just wanted to get a cheap, but decent projector, because, as I said, I am a college student.

Thanks

PS what is the cable called that is the standard cord to watch TV? Is it called the coaxial cable? I don't know

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Ok, I am the proud owner of a MacBook, and I am looking into buying an HDTV projector for my dorm room. What connections do I need to look for in order to connect my MacBook into the HDTV projector? I know that it has a mini-dvi port, so if I bought a mini-dvi to vga adaptor, would that give me as good quality as a mini-dvi to dvi then having a dvi to dvi cord? I was looking at this projector:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1600-Lumens-LCD...ryZ75423QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Can anyone tell me if this would be good enough for my needs? I'm not really that big on quality, and I just wanted to get a cheap, but decent projector, because, as I said, I am a college student.

Thanks

PS what is the cable called that is the standard cord to watch TV? Is it called the coaxial cable? I don't know

I'd just like to point out that that is not a "HD" projector it is basic SVGA (800x600).

HD (720p) = 1280x720

HD (1080i) = 1440x1080

If you used it for viewing purely broadcast quality or DV then it would be fine but you wouldn't be able to use it to view higher quality stuff nor to read emails or web browse etc.

Amen-Moses

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First - Amen-Moses is correct it is not HD. A little exaggeration in advertising there. According to what I could find (this is a rebadged Hitachi projector, now discontinued, model # PJ-LC7) it will accept up to a 1600x1200 signal and then scales it down to 800x600. Neither Viewsonic, nor Hitachi have the owners manual available on their sites. Viewsonic does state it will accept 720p and 1080i signals.

I know that it has a mini-dvi port, so if I bought a mini-dvi to vga adaptor, would that give me as good quality as a mini-dvi to dvi then having a dvi to dvi cord?

Yes, mini-DVI to VGA cable is what you need. It doesn't matter whether it is as good as DVI since it does not have a DVI input.
Also, since it is only 800x600, no, you would not be able to see any discernible difference between VGA and DVI.

Can anyone tell me if this would be good enough for my needs?

You haven't told us what your needs are.
Are you looking for something you need to carry to class, just watch TV/DVD's on, or for a large screen for your Mac?

?? Are you looking for the cable that comes from the antenna, cable, satellite to the tuner (TV or cable stallite box) - then yes this would be a coaxial cable.

There is no coax input on theis projector, so what source are you planning to use to get a TV signal onto the screen. This would not be the cable you would use to get a signal from your TV, computer, DVD player, etc. to the projector. The projector does not have a TV tuner built in, it only displays other sources.

PS The few user reviews for this were good for the money spent. I might suggest buying something like this from a local electronics store however. This particular model was first released 2 years ago. Only read a couple of quick reviews and very quick comparison of specs on the lower priced projectors at circuit city and looks like you could get a little better spec and features for about the same $$.

Also, You would be able to read e-mail and browse the web on this projector, but you probably will not want to, on this or any other 800x600 projector.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok, I just wanted a projector so that I could watch movies and TV shows in my room on a really big screen. I am now realizing that quality isn't top priority, just as long as the picture is not blurry or anything. Are there any projectors in the $500-600 with an integrated TV tuner? This way I won't have to buy extra equipment just to watch TV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.