What Now!?

Reaction score
Need to change admin password on my G5 but when I put in an install disc, restart and press 'C' mac doesn't boot but instead fans go nuts and computer almost takes off out the window. Does anybody know what I can do?

Cheers in advance
Tim

OP
T
Reaction score
Can I just add that the install disc I'm using is for my G5 back home not my work G5 (the one I'm trying to sort out)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Fans going nuts is a sure sign of a kernel panic. Sounds like the DVD is corrupted...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have had problems from time to time booting my Power Mac G5 from the recovery disk also. Mine was more of the mouse was unresponsive. For me, I had to try booting multiple times before it worked.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-forums, timbo.

Are the G5s the same model (example: Power Mac G5) and the same generation? If not, that could be why your install disk doesn't work.

OP
T
Reaction score
To be honest I just always leave my mac on because if I turn it It'll be another half hour before I get it on again after multiple boots like yourself. Took it to a mac tech shop in Belfast and they said they sorted it and that it was just the programme manager needing resetting but this isn't the case because I still have issues with it starting. :eek:neye:

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi MacHeadCase!

Both are G5's but probably not same generation to be honest. I'm not overly computer savvy but I think my own G5 isn't as 'recent'. I'll find this out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.