what type of setup for reunions? Forum? Free chat group?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
Hi everyone,

I need to create 2 websites for 2 different reunions. Both will have 100 -200 members involved. I would like something that navigates like a straightforward site with links like: reunion info, photos (probably a lot!), how to get involved, etc. And prob most importantly a forum or chat group. I've used yahoo and mostly hate it. I was thinking a small version of mac-forums. I really like the way a forum lets you have sub forums vs things like yahoo that's a list serv (too difficult to follow things IMO).

Where do I start and what's everyone's opinion on the best way to set this up? And what hosting/server company to go with? I currently use godaddy for my own site. Both of the sites I need to start could potentially get a lot of use for many years.

Thanks so much everyone!

PS Did I forget to mention, there's no money at this point...?

Reaction score
You can get a simple web host and domain (s) with MySQL and install punBB

It is a basic Forums with many plugins

I have a working demo that i setup here: http://iheist.com/forum/

If you need any help, please PM me.

Reaction score
Hey, xtreem: I noticed a simple spelling error on your site.

Looks like a simple space typo.
Oh, ok thanks. Why dont you register, you can get free mac software and other stuff...

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you hosting this yourself or have a host already? Did a quick search and found two options which might be good for the money challenged:

Here's a stupid question for ya'. What did you enter for your search criteria. I clearly didn't use the right words, lol. I think I did "forum hosting" and I didn't find the ones you did, which look right up my alley. Thanks, man!

And another stupid question. Really, it's embarrassing what I don't know. I assume I'm NOT hosting myself. For the one site I have, I use godaddy. How do you host yourself?

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I'm now hijacking my own thread....but something that would help me use your site would be a brief description of each of the programs you have listed their. I need a hook. I'm too new to Macs to know what I'm looking at.

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out. Now I have THREE to choose from. Yipee.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

The pubBB looks great. If I go with it I'll defin be PMing you for help! Thanks, again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
check out my forum. its free to setup and easy to manage.

the forum n my signature is an actualy forum not just a demo for this so plz check it out.

Reaction score
The pubBB looks great. If I go with it I'll defin be PMing you for help! Thanks, again!
Thanks! We have a whole crew making and managing it! We hope to attract many member!

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
check out my forum. its free to setup and easy to manage.

the forum n my signature is an actualy forum not just a demo for this so plz check it out.

So in baby talk, so I can understand you lol, how does this work? You are using a free forum and people can get it from you and you have a server people are using? (actual BABY HELPINg sorry about caps). I just don'T GET any OF this. AND WHY is SO much stuff free. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me...baby meltdown...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.