Thinking of adding RAM - one question 1st

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hey guys,

My iMac currently has 1GB RAM (2X512 modules). I'm still loving it but was thinking of giving it a boost by adding another 1GB memory.

However, when I look at the system profiler it shows that I have 2 modules already installed. One on bank 0 and one on bank 1 (see attached image).

I was just wondering if I will have space to add another 1GB module without having to take any out?

Also, I know that some motherboards, when the RAM is full reduce the overall operating speed of the RAM. Is this true in the iMac's case?

Regards,

Chris :mac:

iMac_Memory_Details.png

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ideally, you should add two matched sticks in the two slots you have (i'm 99% sure you only have two). you could add one 1G stick in place of one of your 512 sticks, but you will most likely only see speed increases in non-graphics intensive programs. graphics intensive programs for some reason like matched pairs.

there are a few threads about this matching phenomenon - i'll try to dig one up.

edit
here's one: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38937

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Thanks for the input,

I will consider this. But the "Bank 0" - does that mean that the 512 Module on that bank is soldered to the motherboard?

Also, If I were to get more memory from a different retailer than Apple, say Crucial. Would it affect my Apple Care at all?

Regards,

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
no, memory banks typically start at 0.
it's just two dimms in two slots.

installing memory should not void your warranty at all - it's considered user serviceable.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm considering doing the same with my macbook (1Gb to 2Gb) - might make up for the lack of dedicated graphics. ;)

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Well I use Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver a lot and edit the odd movie now and then. My iMac is by no means slow, and I know that at present Photoshop is running through Rosetta (so are Flash and Dreamweaver I think?) but I figured that extra RAM can't be a bad thing either way!

Is Crucial a half decent make to go with? I have used them when system building in the past but I have never upgraded memory on a Mac before.

Regards,

Chris.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
whew. you'll get a lot of different answers - just search memory on these forums, there's lots of threads with personal accounts of a bunch of different outlets (crucial is certainly fine though).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel C2D iMac 2.16Ghz, 2GB Ram.
Hello,

Great topic, I have been considering purchasing the 2GB single stick of RAM however I find the price offputting to say the least. Is there any other UK sites that offer 2GB RAM single stick at a cheaper price? At present I only have 1GB in my 20" iMac Core 2 Duo(I assume it has 2x512MB sticks inside?)

Michael.

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
I have made my purchase! Yey, lol

I have gone for 2GB (2X1GB) Crucial Modules.

Can't wait to get them in my iMac now! I hope its a noticeable speed difference.

I will post a mini-review of the advantages of an extra 1GB RAM once I have installed it and had a play around if it will be useful to anyone.

As I said before, I will be using programs like Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, garage band and video editing now and then.

Regards,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.