Trash

Reaction score
I need some help with emptying my trash.

I have an iMac running OSX 10.4.8. I have a 1.8 GHz Power PC G5 processor with 1 GB DDR SDRAM

Some how I ended up with a heap of movie files and had only about 500 meg space left. So I deleted files and copied a lot more onto DVD and CD.

This gave me about 15 gig space. The computer runs well and I have no problems other than I can't empty my trash. I have moved files out of the trash and tried to empty one at a time but that doesn't work. I have tried the methods shown on Mac help but to no avail.

When I do try and empty the trash I get a small file transfer box I can't read the message, it's too fast. Also the icons on my desktop disappear for a split second and come back.

The white rubbish in the trash basket in the dock remains.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris Stone

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
welcome to the forums Chris!

first, try rebooting and then emptying again.

if that doesn't work, try this:
create a folder on your desktop and move all but a few of the smaller files to the new folder. then try emptying your trash again. if this doesn't work, move all the files out, and then one small one back in and try again.

if that doesn't work, wait for the next answer. it's bound to be even more complex and effective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
If you have enough space left, add a new user and do the following.
Log-in with the new user (with Admin privileges)
Install Onyx (If you don't have it already)
Start Onyx in Terminal (sudo /Applications/Onyx.app/Content/MacOSX/Onyx) ->Check the correct path.
Secure Clean the trash for all users.(Note that the Secure clean process takes quite a long time depending on the amount of trash)

I am not with my Mac right now. If you have trouble with the proceedings just let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.6.? - 2.5 GHz Intel G5 - 2 GB RAM
Make sure the files aren't locked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Hi Chris and welcome,
Just try holding down the mouse on the trash icon. Then choose Empty Trash from the pop-up and Mac OS X will empty Trash and any locked files you may have in there. Hope that works for you.

Carol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
reboot then try again. if not try running onyx cleaning setup

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, christopherston!

I'll let you try all that was suggested so far but me thinks it could also be a corrupted Finder pref file.

So let us know how the various suggestions went, if you still are in a tight spot, I'll let you know which file is the Finder pref file so you can drag it to the trash and how to go from there. It's just that I don't want to mix you up with more troubleshooting right now.

Report back. :girl:

OP
C
Reaction score
Trash problem fixed

Thanks to all who helped me with my worrysome trash.

I loaded Onyx and was able to empty the trash bin. I am still unable to empty it from the dock, but with a little tweeking to do, I think I will be able to get the thing right.

Thanks again

Chris Stone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
have you tried, when finder is selected: option+shift+command+delete

that key combo will erase anything that is in your trash without even asking....even if the files are locked and you should have absolutely no access to them.

-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.