Cracked MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
My poor macbook... Something scraped my hand yesterday where I normally rest my palms. Low and behold, I discover this:

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

I hope that Applecare covers this, it isn't like my macbook is abused, it lives in a Brenthaven Edge II whenever not in use :(

Oh well, I'll just add it to the list of things to be looked at over spring break when I can get to the store.

P.S. It's definately discomforting to see the sleep light from the inside of the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. It just broke off this morning, now there's a little gap to the inside of my lappy :eek:

Reaction score
Wow, my MacBook just cracked in the exact same spot... infact the cracks look nearly identical, except that mine extends a little further to the IR sensor. This just happened a couple of days ago. I'll be calling Apple Care shortly.

Reaction score
is that the top case or the bottom case? if its the top case with the keys... i have an extra one sitting around if you want to take it... i bought it with the bottom case and im only going to use the bottom case for my project.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
I have heard a good deal of issues on these "crack" problems. Can you who have them please keep us posted on how apple responds to the issue at hand. It is capital that we as consumers stay on them "Apple" and make sure they continue to produce first rate hardware. Let em know whats going on. We've stood behind them so I'd expect them to stand beside us and address any issues like this. Good luck to you and report back.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to a store next week for another issue anyway, this will just be a double dipper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
My Macbook has just cracked in exactly the same place.

I am far from impressed.

Has anyone successfully had this repaired under warranty?

Was the plastic part replaced, or was the whole unit replaced?

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the lack of an update. My macbook is having the cover and screen beezle (spelling) replaced and shipped back as I speak, I received no grief when I brought it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
Cool... Glad they're sorting it for you.

I took mine in to the Apple Store yesterday and they've ordered the palm rest / keyboard cover thing for me.

I asked if they could replace it while I waited and they ummed and ahhed about it, then said that if I could leave it with them for a couple of hours, then they will.

I bought Pro Care while I was there, so I'm going to get some training while I wait :)

Reaction score
mine cracked in the same spot on the left hand side just before I went on holiday a few weeks ago. not wanting to be without my MacBook whilst I was away, I covered it with a sticker to ensure that the loose piece didn't get caught and break off.

having run with it for a few weeks I was getting to the point where I didn't mind the crack as it was totally unnoticeable. however, I've now noticed that the exact same crack has appeared on the right hand side!

my MacBook has not been under any duress. and is mainly used as a desktop machine, so it's not damage in any way. it appears much more to be an issue with the two bevels above the screen to keep spacing between the screen and the keyboard. I think these are applying too much pressure to the palm rests.

I don't have the luxury of an Apple Store here in Glasgow (yet!) so can anyone tell me what the procedure / likelihood of Apple replacing this part is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
From what I understand - if you are still under the warranty period supplied with you MacBook then you can contact the Apple support people - explain the problem and I believe they send you something to pack up your MacBook, you send it - they diagnose it, repair it and then post it back to you.

I've been lucky enough to not need this service so I am not speaking from experience.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As Dave said, either go to an Apple store or simply call Applecare and they will be very understanding about this issue. They were for me at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
For the members other than the OP, has this happened on a black Macbook or do all of you have the white one?

Reaction score
Same here

Mine just cracked in the same place, but on right side. My macbook is also white. Let me know how this has been resolved though warranty,

Thanks,

Brett

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
They will replace the Top Case/w keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
How does this happen? I mean a crack doesn't just appear. Some kind of force must be used in order for a crack to appear.

Reaction score
Hi,
Mine just had the same problem with the crack on the palm rest. My 3 months telephone support is up, is it best for me to take it in to a mac store for them to take a look? How understanding were they of this problem? Thanks in Advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
I would imagine the magnetic catch and opening the laptop is to blame. When you are pulling the lip up away from the magnet it must place the plastic under some tension.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.