Cracked MacBook

Reaction score
hi i'm new to this forum, Why did apple used plastic to make the macbook keyboard? plastic does NOT transfer heat well nor it offers more protecting in general, thats why metal or aluminum is the best materials for notebooks. this is obviously a design failure, And thanx guys i didn't even know they covered that, my macbook have 5 long SCARS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Happened to mine, got it repaired under the warranty... and now it's happening again and for some stupid reason I didn't extend it. A guy in the mac shop near us said it was because of the two raised bits above the screen - close it too hard over and over and over again and it starts to damage the bottom.

And you can buy bits of the casing from ebay or Apple... but it'll cost ya! Ebay is like £40 for the inner top case (ie keyboard bit), more for black, more for the others. My Apple store said it would be about £100 from them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz MacBook
Just got mine back. Brand new top case, and yes brand new keys and trackpad. Quite happy that mine was still covered under the original warranty.

However, the person that did it for me didn't do a very good job. There's a really thin gap of space between the top case and the actual computer near the track pad that runs for about 2 inches. I'll have to bring it in again to get this fixed. :(

Reaction score
i have the exact same problem. i bought my macbook through the tech center at my college. after taking it in there they said it was not covered under warranty....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
i have the exact same problem. i bought my macbook through the tech center at my college. after taking it in there they said it was not covered under warranty....

Well it is, take it to an Apple store instead OR kick up a fuss at the tech centre. I would suggest the Apple store option though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHZ Macbook (black), OSX Leopard 10.5.5, 1GB Shuffle,4GB Nano,2GB nano 2nd generation
can anyone suggest an apple store in sydney? is next byte ok for a fix?
i have a small crack on th left side which is likely to grown into a big on (cracking towards the centre)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Ipod 8G
OK so far so good, no black macs have had this problem, hopefully not! I bought my mac at a best buy and i have the one year warranty through mac and i also purchased 2 years of accidental warranty from best buy. Does anyone know if they replace the whole mac with the best buy warranty???? If that where to happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a Macbook muuaacckk love her (it´s a she to me)
Mine just cracked in the same spot, I almost cried honestly, because I take good care of my macbook, I called applecare and I am taking it to the genius bar here in Spain, I hope everything works out...

Reaction score
Mine cracked in the same spot as the OP, right bottom corner. I own a black macbook. I plan on going to the Apple store this week. I don't have apple care so I'm hoping they can still do something for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's under warranty they should repair it. If not it could prove expensive...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17", 2.6Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD, 512M 8600m GT
I repaired a macbook with a crack like that not long ago, it seems to be they fasten the screws wayyyy too tight in these macbooks. I almost stripped a few of them trying to get them off. I think the overtightened screws cause the plastic to fracture, i dont know what else it could be

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was told that it was the two raised ridges on the top of the screen pushing on the keyboard casing when you close them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.