Cracked MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
i have the same problem i phone apple i have had my macbook 5 months or so they said i can not send it to them and need to take it to a local dealer to fix it for me i live in the u.k with no local stores so its a 2hour train trip for me so i hope i can just ship it to them or they can fix it while i am there tbh i hope then just swap it for a new one as i have one or 2 other scraps i would like to see the back off and i will just swap my hard drive over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Ahhh! Use commas and full stops! My eyes, my eyes...! Capitalise your first person singular pronouns, too.

Reaction score
I don't believe it! My first Macbook had a cracked case and now this one does right above the IF port looks just like Walmat Connect's. Thing is when my first Macbook got sent off for the week I had a PC and I was on a college break. Now I'm in college and have work to do and i don't have a backup computer. Garh I'm so miffed right now.

05022008011ve2.jpg

Reaction score
Same thing here.

I've only had mine since 3Nov08 and its cracked through on the right side and starting to split on the left.
If you will look at the screen side of your 'book there are two little tabs which will line up with the cracks. Looks like a design oversight.
Carrying the laptop in a tight fitting case would probably accelerate the cracking. I carry mine in a camera bag almost daily. Its pretty tight in there.
The Marware pads might help but I doubt it would by much. Its probably better that the plastic cracks sooner as it will still be under warranty.
I'll be taking mine in this Friday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 120GB Hard Drive, 2GB memory
Mine has the exact same crack. I just made an appointment with the Genius Bar at my local Apple store and will be taking it in on Friday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 120GB Hard Drive, 2GB memory
Update: Took my MacBook to an Apple store, and they said they'd replaced the top case and keyboard with a stronger plastic. No issues whatsoever, they recognized the problem right away. Left my MacBook there and picked it up 2 days later, but apparently they had bent a metal bar during the installation process that blocked the CD drive, so I had to bring it back to have that fixed (on the spot). Other than that bent metal bar, no issues whatsoever and now my issues have been completely resolved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
2 of 3 of my families macbooks suffered the same fate and were fixed without any issues at all. It is a well known fault.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20 in; 15" MBP 2.4 Ghz
So, is this an issue with the WHITE only????

<starts adding more cash to savings for a MBP>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
So, is this an issue with the WHITE only????

<starts adding more cash to savings for a MBP>
+3 Any Black Macbook owners here with cracking issues?

So far so good with mine. But you guys are making me nervous. ;)

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
This has now happened to my Wife's MacBook (white) so I checked mine carefully (BlackBook) and can see the 1st signs of a crack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz MacBook
OH NO! :( My MacBook is starting to show the exact same type of crack on the right side where my wrist lies.

I bought my MacBook last year in late April (2007) from my school's computer store. Should I bring it into an Apple Store? Or should I bring it back to the computer store at my school and contact AppleCare from there?

Also, I've forgotten: how long does the warranty last for? I'm guessing mine is no longer under warranty. So will it cost anything to ship it in or to get it fixed at an Apple Store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
OH NO! :( My MacBook is starting to show the exact same type of crack on the right side where my wrist lies.

I bought my MacBook last year in late April (2007) from my school's computer store. Should I bring it into an Apple Store? Or should I bring it back to the computer store at my school and contact AppleCare from there?

Also, I've forgotten: how long does the warranty last for? I'm guessing mine is no longer under warranty. So will it cost anything to ship it in or to get it fixed at an Apple Store?

12 months so you should be ok if you get it back asap!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz MacBook
This just HAS to happen during the busiest two weeks of school too. :(

Reaction score
I thought Apple was trying to make their costumers happy... With those cracks you guys report I start to doubt that...
Could everyone report a successful repair from apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz MacBook
I just e-mailed the store I bought my MacBook from. They were very nice about it and told me they've ordered the replacement piece already.

I'm going to bring it in next week. I'll keep you guys updated! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
i have a black macbook and I have a crack going from the right corner, towards the left for about 2 cm, im on the 2ghz core duo model, but i have no extended applecare, im thinking about just replacing the top myself

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
i have a black macbook and I have a crack going from the right corner, towards the left for about 2 cm, im on the 2ghz core duo model, but i have no extended applecare, im thinking about just replacing the top myself

Is that possible? Can you order them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are several places on the internet to buy used parts. Second hand the black ones are at a premium.

However - Apple gave me a price of about £80 or so plus VAT for a new one for the white macbook, not sure if the black one is the same price but probably.... Oh I didn't look where you were from before I started to answer... The UK price of whole laptops in pounds is about double the US dollar price plus 10% plus VAT (17.5%) so .... about $145 approx! Thats just a guess but it will not be far off! If you do get a price there let us know. (The price of the top plastic is so much due to the keyboard and touchpad being part of it!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.