New to Mac Questions about SuperDuper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MB Air, Iphone
I have installed and used SuperDuper for about a week when I discovered that SuperDuper created a Backup.dmg file on my Mac Hard drive. I manualy delete it as it was 60 gigs but how does one stop Superduper from creating the file in the first place? Been to that Forum and something about creating a script which I don't understand..Any help with stopping the creation of a backup.dmg file?:radioacti

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
You should save that file to an external firewire hard drive. It's a bootable image of your HD. If your comp crashes you can hook up the backup firewire drive and fix everything it will be just as it was when the file was created. No big deal if you deleted it you can make another but thats what that file was. You can set the save location to an external disk and it will continually update the disk image. But the drive has to be hooked up when its backing up. Ii think you have it set up to do scheduled backups. No scripts needed to change that. But you should get an external firewire drive to save that on. If your HD fails its no good to have the backup on the same drive.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MB Air, Iphone
You should save that file to an external firewire hard drive. It's a bootable image of your HD. If your comp crashes you can hook up the backup firewire drive and fix everything it will be just as it was when the file was created. No big deal if you deleted it you can make another but thats what that file was. You can set the save location to an external disk and it will continually update the disk image. But the drive has to be hooked up when its backing up. Ii think you have it set up to do scheduled backups. No scripts needed to change that. But you should get an external firewire drive to save that on. If your HD fails its no good to have the backup on the same drive.

I do save the backup to a partioned Firewire drive, but still it produces a backup.dmg file in documents as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I've never seen that befoer ,but probably somewhere in the settings or user scripts it thinks it should be creating that file.

Try deleting the preference info files so you're back to a fresh installation and see if it now backups correctly:
"/Users/YOURNAME/Library/Preferences/com.blacey.SuperDuper!.plist"
"/Users/YOURNAME/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!"

M

MacHeadCase

My SuperDuper! backups aren't .dmg at all, they are a real bootable installation and ready to be used, same file hierarchy as my internal Macintosh HD. I agree Aptmunich and fyrman22. It would be worth it if you got yourself a Firewire external.

Why don't you simply email the developers about this and if they have any idea why you get the results you end up with? I did once and they a real pleasure to deal with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, Dave Nanian the developer is a great guy and offers excellent customer support...

I had an issue with my license purchase and he replied within an hour or two with a solution...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.