Airport

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've got a question about renetworking my flat.

At present my emac is the living room next to wireless router which is connected to my emac by ethernet and my powerbook which equiped with aiport can use the network wirelessy. However the emac is in the way in the living room so I want to move it to my bedroom however there is no connection for the internet in the bedroom since the phone line which carries the internet connection is only in the living room. I have tried using a telephone extension so the internet can be in the bedroom but it does not work. I want to know if there is away of using an airport express as bridge to communicate with the router in living room for example.

I plug the airport express into the wall in my bedroom and connect it to my emac with enthernet and then the airport express receives a signal from the living room and therefore provie my emac with internet. Please don't suggest an airport card for my emac i've tried that. The emac would not regognize the card, so got a replacement and it still did not work in the end I had to get my money back.

If want I suggest does not work with airport express will it work with an extreme base or some other non-apple router or bridge

Please help. I use my laptop mac and my dad uses the emac so he needs to have access to the internet.

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm assuming you're talking about the Airport Express Base Station when you mentioned plugging that airport express into the wall?

What wireless router do you currently have? I mean the one in your living room.

Reaction score
If you have another airport then you can extend the range of your wireless network with an Airport Express. You have to set it up to bridge the two. You cannot plug the computer into the Airport Express. the Ethernet port on it is meant for WAN not to connect your computer.

You could try some sort of USB wireless adapter. I'm not sure which ones work with apple. You could also buy an Airport Extreme and use it to bridge the connection as it will connect to a computer because it has the WAN port and a LAN port.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.