What Anti-Virus Program?

Reaction score
New Mac user: What would you suggest for an Anti_Virus program.
I have AVG FREE anti-virus on my windows computer and it's super. Is there anything like it for the MAC.
I don't want Norton or McAwfull..........
Thanks......Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Actually, w9ffc, you can easily get by on a Mac without using an antivirus program, as there have not yet been any successful virus attacks made on OSX. If you really want to feel safe about things, though, there are a few options listed in the threads in the new switcher hangout forum. It would be a waste of RAM in my opinion though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Don't waste your money. Don't buy one. You don't need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I have the best anti-virus for your Mac. Ready? Ok, here it is: Mac OS X.

Confused? Thought so. It's because you don't NEED anti-virus software on your Mac. You must be thinking I'm out of my mind and that all computers need anti-virus. Well, it helps when Macs don't have any viruses out there.

Of course, I could just be a crazy person, or you're still amazed that you don't have to worry about viruses, spyware, adware and the like on your Mac :bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You should take a look at the Antivirus FAQ sticky thread in the Switcher Hangout forum.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank you all for taking the tiime to reply to my question.
All answers were appreciated.

Bob

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The thing about Anti-Virus programs on the Mac is this - and I've said it before in other threads - there are no current "in-the-wild" viruses for OS X, period. Not one. There have been "proof of concept" viruses, but nothing that has ever infected an OS X computer unintentionally.

Most Anti-Virus programs use "DAT files", that is, databases that contain data about all known viruses and ways of dealing with them. Those DAT files are updated constantly so that the Anti-Virus product is effective. In addition, some anti-virus products use heuristics technologies to try to determine virus-like activity and stop it.

Since there are no viruses for OS X, any Mac anti-virus product is only going to be as effective as its heuristics algorithms. Historically, heuristics have proven to be mediocre in terms of effectiveness.

That said, any virus for OS X is going to make headlines. If you're on planet Earth at the time, chances are you're going to hear about - even before it makes it's way onto your machine. Windows mavens have been chomping at the bit to quell Apple's claims of OS X's resiliency in terms of security. So when an OS X virus appears, the media will be all over it. Considering what an accomplishment it would be, it's a wonder no one has attempted it.

So, I think it's a pretty safe bet to run your machine without an anti-virus product for the time being. If you install Windows via Bootcamp or Parallels, I'd recommend installing AVG Free Edition to prevent damage to those installations. You should also note that it is possible that the Mac could convey a Windows virus to another Windows machine (without being infected itself). I'd imagine that a Mac anti-virus product would look for files like that to try to mitigate the chance of it infecting someone else's machine.

Just my $0.02. I've seriously considered buying one, but after having given it careful consideration, I've decided to wait and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
u could use clamxav

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Clam AV is a great, cross platform and open source freeware product. If you REALLY feel that you must have an AV product, use this one. But you really don't need one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I use ClamX just to help out my PC friends so I don't pass a virus to them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.