iMac no longer connects to wireless router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 1GB RAM
I have been using my iMac with a DLink (DI-624) wireless router since I purchased the computer. I never had any problems. Today I try to go on the Internet and it says "I am not connected to the Internet". I try my PC laptop and it connects just fine. I restart the iMac, router, and cable modem but nothing changes. Next I take my ethernet cable and plug the router into the iMac, everything works.

A search on Apple's website revealed the following article:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304817

I am running OS X 10.4.8. I checked with DLink's website but there is no information related to this problem. The firmware is up to date for the router (Aug. 06).

Anybody else run into this? I would rather not have to buy another router.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have been using my iMac with a DLink (DI-624) wireless router since I purchased the computer. I never had any problems. Today I try to go on the Internet and it says "I am not connected to the Internet". I try my PC laptop and it connects just fine. I restart the iMac, router, and cable modem but nothing changes. Next I take my ethernet cable and plug the router into the iMac, everything works.

A search on Apple's website revealed the following article:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304817

I am running OS X 10.4.8. I checked with DLink's website but there is no information related to this problem. The firmware is up to date for the router (Aug. 06).

Anybody else run into this? I would rather not have to buy another router.

Yep, since the latest Airport security update, my MacBook Pro (which previously had no trouble at all) started having difficulty connecting to and maintaining a connection when using WPA security. Switching the router over to WPA2 encryption pretty much solved my problem.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 1GB RAM
I tried switching to WPA2 but there is no change. It is as if the iMac's wireless card has been turned off. It will only work through the ethernet cable.

Is there a way to check the status of the wireless card?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I tried switching to WPA2 but there is no change. It is as if the iMac's wireless card has been turned off. It will only work through the ethernet cable.

Is there a way to check the status of the wireless card?

The easiest way is to click the AirPort icon in the menu bar (near the clock). The very first line should read 'Airport: On', with an option to turn it off just below.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.