Considerable slowdown after updates

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.0 ghz core 2 duo, 2 gig RAM, 120 gig HD
Hello all,

I ran software update and everything today, to make sure I was in tip-top shape, and installed everything. But afterwards, I've noticed a considerable slowdown of my startup time. (By startup, I mean, how long it takes it to reach the login screen). What could cause this? Hope this hasn't been posted before.

J

jamesx

i notice that when i start up after an update, it takes a little longer, but after that one restart, it is back to normal. if you have not already, reboot agian and see if it takes as long.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.0 ghz core 2 duo, 2 gig RAM, 120 gig HD
i notice that when i start up after an update, it takes a little longer, but after that one restart, it is back to normal. if you have not already, reboot agian and see if it takes as long.

Oi, I had restarted it a time or so afterward to see if that was the case, and it was still slow, but now that I spam the forums, it sped back up. Sorry guys, and thanks for the advice. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's interesting, but jamesx is absolutely right, it sometimes takes a few reboots before everything returns to normal. I can understand one, but I find the same thing - it's takes 2-3 reboots before you start to see your startup speed return to normal. I'd love to understand the technical reasons for this.

J

jamesx

yep same thing here... i know with my macbook c2d, its start up time is faster than any pc i have ever seen. i mean from being completely shut down to the time where it is ready to use is really fast. like 30 seconds....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
With most updates especially the first reboot is slow. Some updates if you read their readme's point that out also. Glad it's back to normal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.