Powermac G4 hangs on boot - noob alert!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4-400 * 512MB * OS 10.3.9 (rescued from dumpster!)
Am in the process of refurbishing a Powermac G4-400 which currently has OS 9.2. The machine works well for the most part, but since this is my first Mac, I'm unsure if the boot time is "normal."

After the desktop loads, but before the Control Strip appears, the machine seems to "hang" for about three minutes. I can move the mouse but cannot open any apps or do anything until I hear a "beep" in the speaker, and then the Control Strip appears and the machine runs fine. Is this normal?

Any help in diagnosing this glitch greatly appreciated, and thanks.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I solved the problem myself: installed OS X 10.3 on a new hard drive. Thanks anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This is another one of those where I (tongue firmly in cheek!) say, gee, I am glad we were able to help!! :dive:

Welcome to Mac Forums!!

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, that's okay. I'll still be around, and am getting ready to ask another question soon.

Reaction score
Powermac g4 500 stuck on blue screen

I'm running into a similar situation where I'm refurbing a powerbook G4 500. My system will lock up on startup after the gray apple, but before the osX startup. All I get is a blue screen that never changes. At first I thought it was the HD, but I replace the component and the problem remains. I can boot from CD and into safe mode. I am using tiger. I have tried a majority of ways to get things running eg. reset pram, fsck, but with no response. If anyone knows of something so i can get in other than safe mode please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
did u repair disk permissions? and reinstall?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.