Macbook Trackpad Button 'Pre-click' problem?

Reaction score
Hi folks

Just got a MacBook and have become an instant cliched Mac fanatic. Just got a query re. the trackpad: is it normal, when clicking the button on the trackpad, to experience a kind of 'pre-click', which is both heard (very faintly) and felt, so the overall feeling of clicking is a two-stage process rather than just one? I find this 'pre-click' a little bit annoying, but I'll put up with it if it's normal.

This seems to occur more when clicking towards the ends of the trackpad button. It's maybe caused by some little electric contact engaging?

If I tap on the button, but not hard enough to trigger a click, I hear a little high-pitched noise, faint, but noticible. I just worry that something is loose which could become looser and cause a problem?

Thanks
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i dont even use the trackpad button anymore.

i have the machine to click on trackpad tap.

very useful, and above all, QUIET

Reaction score
More of a rattle if you tap it rather than a click, but yeah. :)

As said above, tapping the track pad does the trick silently! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
My ibook was like that. My new macbook is very smooth, but my old ibook used to have a kinda double click. Sort of like a little resistance while clicking, then release half way down with a little barely audible and barely felt pop. Anyway, i dont think its normal. My macbook is extremely smooth, but like I said the ibook was that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
That's not normal. My MacBook is smooth, though it does feel a little loose on the right side and there is a bigger gap then the left side. Like it's raised up a bit. But still one sigle smooth click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
All smooth clicking for me too. That "high-pitched noise" may be somethnig to worry about though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I gotta agree with all the guys here, my Macbook's trackpad button is near silent. No high pitched noise or whatever it was you were describing. I would have it checked out by Apple.

OP
J
Reaction score
Just checked this morning, and confirmed that the 'pre-click' does occur even when the Macbook is switched off, so maybe it's a flaw in the actual clicker mechanism under the button? I wonder if this is related to the 'mushy' trackpad button problem I've seen mentioned?

Will probably take the Macbook in and have someone from Apple look at it.

Thanks fof all the responses
John

Reaction score
sorry to bring up such an old topic, but this problem arised in my laptop as well! i was searching for this exact problem in other laptops, any solutions anyone????

mab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, OS 10.4.11
I have a 2.0 Ghz, black, Macbook, and have the same problem. My Macbook is two weeks shy of its first birthday, so still (barely) under warranty. I brought it into the Apple Store tonight, and they are going to replace the entire 'top layer' which includes the trackpad key and the keyboard.

The left side of the Macbook frame also is a little loose near the usb ports. They indicated that is also replaceable under warranty, but would have to be sent out. I may do this next week before the warranty expires.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.