ichat video help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17-inch model 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
Hi there everyone

I am just trying to figure out which program is the BESTTTT to use if I am using newest version of ichat to video conference with someone on a pc with vista. I guess from what I have been reading aol instant messenger 6.0 is not compatible and does not allow video with someone on ichat. Any suggestions on the best compatible program to use for video conference would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Thanks ;)

Josh

imac , intel core duo 2.0 -- 17 inch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
No, it doesn't. I've tried. Apparently (but I may be wrong), you can only video chat with other iChat users. Since iChat is only available for Mac, you can only chat with other Mac users. However, I may be wrong on this, but this is what I've found just by trying to video chat with PC users using other Instant Messenger services.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
A strong vote for Skype. I use it regularly to video call with family members on Windows. Granted they are using Windows XP, but it all works well. Hopefully Vista hasn't broken video as well... it seems to have broken everything else, from the reports I am getting from others who have deployed it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Before I switched to a MAC, I used my AIM account to video chat with my Dad. I used whatever iChat application was available for Windoze a couple years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
There is also XMeeting, which is pretty good. It is not as facile with NAT'ing firewalls as Skype is, which is why I tend to recommend Skype.

For more info on XMeeting, see:

http://xmeeting.sourceforge.net/pages/xmeeting.php

For those of you with *nix background, you may recognize the origination of this program - it has sprung from the original ohphone H.323 application. XMeeting however now supports SIP as well. BTW, a revised ohphone is also available at the same site, under the name ohphonex. Enjoy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.