Can't find Java 1.5.

Reaction score
Hi

New to Mac's and new to these forums, so please bear with me. First off big Hi to you all, well at least anyone who reads this ;)

Over the last week or so I have been using an iMac G4, mostly for testing our product on, although more and more for my day to day work as well (still do development on Linux/Windows at the moment).

I've been trying to run a couple of applications which keep asking for any Java 1.5. the only Java found on this iMac is 1.4.2.

My problem is that I can't seem to find an update to get Java 1.5 for this Mac. Its running OS X 10.3.9 if that's any help

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for reading / answering :)

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-forums, kadanis.

Either go to your System Preferences and click on Software Update or then again, go to the Apple website, click on the Support tab then on Downloads and you should spot that download in the list as this update was released very recently.

Choose the correct version as there are versions for Tiger and Panther.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The highest Java version you can install under OS X 10.3.9 is what you have now. The only way to update to Java 1.5.x is to upgrade your OS to Tiger 10.4.x.

M

MacHeadCase

There is this update for Panther... Bell is about to ring... Ahhhhhhh...

Java for Mac OS X 10.3 Update 5:

About Java for Mac OS X 10.3 Update 5

Java for Mac OS X 10.3, Update 5 adds support for the latest Daylight Saving Time (DST) and time zone information as of January 8, 2007. This release updates Java 1.4.2 to version 1.4.2_12 and addresses a problem where some Java applications fail to launch.

But dunno if this would fix your problem...

See y'all laters!

OP
K
Reaction score
The highest Java version you can install under OS X 10.3.9 is what you have now. The only way to update to Java 1.5.x is to upgrade your OS to Tiger 10.4.x.

Ah well, thanks for the answers. I think this is the right one, as I have done all the updates I can find and it still says I need Java1.5.x.

M

MacHeadCase

Too bad that update didn't solve the problem. It isn't 1.5 but I was hoping it wold help and fool the app into playing anyway. LOL
icon10.gif

OP
K
Reaction score
Yeah, its a shame.

Ok, being a complete novice when it comes to Mac's... is OS X 10.4 just something I can download to patch 10.3.9 or do I have to buy a whole new OS and re-install, or can I just upgrade?

How does it work?

Thanks again for the answers, and the patience ;)

OP
K
Reaction score
Once again, thanks for all the help. Looks like an upgrade may not be far off. Thank god OS X seems to be cheaper than Windows ;)

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Too bad that update didn't solve the problem. It isn't 1.5 but I was hoping it wold help and fool the app into playing anyway. LOL
icon10.gif

Email the developer of the app and ask them to recompile it for java 1.4 compatibility, most java ide's can do this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.