Updated my firmware, now having fireware issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook, MiniMac
I have a
1.66 GHz Mini
2 GB Ram
Blah Blah Blah

Basically heres the problem I'm having. I updated my firmware, cause Apple Update said I needed to, I thought. Now my firewire and usb ports don't work. Well they work but, I have a external HD that is firewire. Whenever I try to copy something off of it things are corrupt. Anyone have any thoughts. I think alls I need to do is some how reset the firmware to the old version. Is this possible? Any info would really help me out. Thanks for reading.

ow3n

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi own3n, sorry to hear that you are having issues, but first things first - welcome to Mac Forums!

Now, about that problem...

When you say that things coming off the drive are corrupted, can you provide more details? What is the format of the external drive? How is the data corrupted? What kind of files are they, and what is leading you to the statement that they are getting corrupted as they come across? Did this all used to work before the upgrade?

Since you say the drive works, but data off it is corrupt, I can assume that it mounts OK on the desktop, so the drive and the ports seem to be working. Do you have any other USB devices that you can try on those ports (a memory stick or something like that)? This would help to see if it is the port or the drive.

This isn't an answer for you, just more questions, but getting over issues like this is often a process. Hopefully these questions, and their answers, are the first step of the process. Post back and we will work through it together.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook, MiniMac
Well why I think it's a firmware issue is because it worked previously (before the update). I tried all the Firewire ports, Monitor ports, computers port, and the money shoot another computers ports. It only works if it hooked up to another computers ports.

Type of Drive: MicroNet 100 gigish.

Data being corrupted: First and formost I'm a graphic designer so the extensions you here are going to be for that. I notice that in tiffs I would get scan lines on the raster art. I haven't tried every file format but they just won't open, Give me an error. At this time I can't remember the error sorry. The drive is hooked up to another computer now, until I get this figured out. I'll have to try the flash drive later. I'll let you know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
OK, let us know. As soon as we have some more info to work with, we may be able to help.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook, MiniMac
Well tried the USB Stick Drive and it works. I also realized another I haven't had sound on my mpegs since I updated the firmware. I think I royally screwed up. Do you think it would be good for me to bring it in to my tech guy? I've been putting that off cause he'll take it for awhile. Any thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.