• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is godaddy.com anygood?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I want to make a website for just my random needs. It would be my own email address, blog, picture hosting, and kind of my own version of delicious. Problem is, I have no clue how buying a domain works, and I know even less about html. I see for 9.99$ a year I could get a domain, which seems like a reasonable deal to me would there be other charges? Is there any user-friendly website creating programs for me out there? I do know a bit of html from back in the day, I know atleast enough to manipulate text placement and I can change tags if needed. How would I go about being able to use it as an email account?

Reaction score
Do you have a server where you'll be hosting your domain or will you also need to purchase a hosting plan? If you want GoDaddy to provide the server, I think there are additional per-month charges.

Another company I've been looking at is 1and1.com. They have good prices and occasionally run special discounts. Any of the hosting companies will be able to register a domain name for you.

I don't have personal experience with either GoDaddy or 1and1 and would be very interested to hear the experiences of others.

Reaction score
Can't go wrong for that type of thing. Actually it looks like if you register a URL with GoDaddy for the first time you can get it for $1.99...then you have to pick a hosting plan which is pretty cheap there. Maybe not the best service around but for what you want to do...GoDaddy is cheap and I think fairly reliable.

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so i need to pay 9.99 a year AND pay for a server?

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay, but i am still new to all of this? would i just copy and paste text into a box for html programming? also, it is asking me linux or windows for a server? i have a mac! i am so confused

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I've heard bad things about godaddy's hosting, so I wouldn't really recommend using them for the hosting.

For the servers, that is the machine that will be hosting your website, I would choose Linux. It has nothing to do with your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.33 2Gig
I have used Godaddy for 3+ years and haven't had any problems. As for the platform, I would agree Linux is more stable than the Windows platforms. Essentially you create your website on your personal computer, then you upload it via FTP (File Transfer Protocol) or the file transfer program that GoDaddy provides (assuming you decide to use them).

Feel free to holler if you have any questions.

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
will this serve my needs with ease? or is just using free email, flickr, and livejournal work better?

Reaction score
Well, it depends on what you need, how geeky you feel, and how much cash you want to spend. Certainly you can do a lot of stuff with free sites but you sacrifice some control. If you are pretty good with HTML and know how to FTP files, I don't think it's a big deal having your own domain and controlling your own pages. AND, you can have your own web name -- www.skye23412.com (or whatever). Your friends will either think you're a true dweeb or extremely cool (depending on the type of friends you have).

As you can see by my sig, I have some photos posted on Tripod. Eventually I'm going to purchase a hosting package from one of the services and set up my own set of pages. I'll also have control of my email accounts and a bunch of other stuff. I'm just too busy at the moment to find the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've read good and bad things about go daddy, but to be honest if your just registering a domain it's not that big of a deal. Do a search for web hosting. You can deals on anywhere from 10Gb to 100Gb of server space for as little as $9.99/month. Not a bad deal and it's nice to have space to expand and store stuff remotely when you need it. You also want to look at bandwidth limitations as well. If you think your site is going to get and real traffic, get more bandwidth.

For example, my current server gives me 20Gb of storage and 250Gb of transfer bandwidth per month for $9.99.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
i have a couple website hosted on godaddy and my results have been mixed. depending on location, some folks have a terribly slow connection whereas others are zooming a long happy as can be. from where i live i also get mixed connection results with godaddy servers and i have a fast cable connection and ISP.

Reaction score
I have been using GoDaddy for my personal site for a few years. I have never had any problems. Of course my bandwidth usage is very low.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I have purchased a url (haven't set-up the site yet) from godaddy... very straight forward. No problems whatsoever.

Also.. if this isn't enough to get you to use godaddy what would be????
godaddygirl.jpg

Reaction score
I asked this earlier but maybe it got lost. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about 1&1 for web hosting?

They are currently offering: 2 free domain name registrations, 120 GB web space, 1,200 GB traffic and 1,200 e-mail accounts in their "Home" package for $4.99/month.

They make big claims but I've never heard any first-hand stories.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Reaction score
I have purchased a url (haven't set-up the site yet) from godaddy... very straight forward. No problems whatsoever.

Also.. if this isn't enough to get you to use godaddy what would be????
godaddygirl.jpg
Yep, that dog 'ill hunt.

Reaction score
I asked this earlier but maybe it got lost. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about 1&1 for web hosting?

They are currently offering: 2 free domain name registrations, 120 GB web space, 1,200 GB traffic and 1,200 e-mail accounts in their "Home" package for $4.99/month.

They make big claims but I've never heard any first-hand stories.
Bottom line is that there are a lot of "deals" out there. Two things...

1) You get what you pay for

2) If it sounds too good to be true it probably is

Now depending on what you're doing with a website, GoDaddy or one of these really cheap hosts might be fine. If you're relying on a host to service a site like this one...forget it...not happening. If it's just a little personal hobby I'm sure the cheap hosts are OK...just don't expect perfection for four bucks a month.

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so is it fairly to run my own site/server to use it as as email and a blog and such? it doenst take intense coding or anything does it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.33 2Gig
no, no intense coding.. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.