I want no XP or W2K Internet access in Parallels

Reaction score
Hi,

I have read much of this forum and don't think my question was answered.

I am about to switch to iMac. I currently use W2K Pro on 2 networked PC's. Eventually, the 2 PC's will be retired and there is only Windows app that I will need. It is Picture Windows Pro, an image editor that is Windows only, and it sounds like the easiest way to do this would be to run it under Parallels. I have a couple of questions about that environment.

(I should preface my questions with some info. I have a 25-year software development background but I DO NOT want to spend my evenings fiddling with computers. This is the main reason I want to switch to MAC. I want an appliance, not an ongoing software maintenance project.)

What I want to be able to do is to run the app, edit photos etc. but NEVER access the Internet while in "Windows". This means I need to be able to buy a CD with XP (or W2K) and NEVER get any patches for it, other than by ordering another CD if I absolutely needed to. Can this be done or am I dreaming? (I am sick and tired of worrying about spyware, viruses etc.)

I have never used XP. Does it try to go online without me knowing about it? Will it be crippled if I don't permit Internet access while in Parallels. Can I configure Parallels to never allow internet access?

I have nothing against W2K and in fact would prefer not to upgrade to XP if I can help it. I have always tried to stay years behind in Microsoft O/S. The W2K Pro that I have is an early release and I don't think I could use it with Paralles because I would need all sorts of patches for it and I don't want to access Windows Update online. Is it possible to BUY a W2K CD with all the up to date patches somewhere?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
simple. go into xp, control panel. click on system, and hardware , then device manager.

simply right click on the Network adapter, after its been expaned (the little plus)

just disable it. i did the same, i dont want xp for internet .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.